Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,604   Online: 1068

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Do you ever regret photographs you didnít take?

Many years ago I was crossing a bridge in Florence and a group of Italian motorcycle guys had gathered together. They were not like a Hells Angel Chapter, but all dressed in fantastic leather. It was like a Dolce & Gabanna ad and I didnít take the shot in case they may have objected. But thinking about it afterwards, they probably wouldnít have minded.

ďThe contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of inventionĒ

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All the time.

But then I have shots, while at the time seemed to be worthless, that I look back on a see a baby where I now have a 10 year old. I love just about all my shots. I should shoot MORE.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes, because they were the best photographs I will ever make. A legend in my own mind and all of that.

Seriously though, I have passed up shots because I didn't have the time right then, or some other conflict, went back later and the thing that had attracted my attention had been moved, destroyed, etc. Or the light was never the same again. 2 summers ago while shooting in South Dakoka I passed up a picture because I had been shooting all day and was very tired, plus it was a different subject than what I went there to shoot. It has haunted me since. I have convinced myself that it would have been the best image of the trip.

I have read that Dorothea Lange drove 20 miles past a sign that caught her attention, but finally gave in to her internal voice and backtracked, where she found the picture that would come to be known as "Migrant Mother."

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not regret... but I keep remembering one that I saw but couldn't get the camera out in time for. It was (or, would have been) priceless. It was London, ouside of HARROD'S. She was beautiful... perhaps the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. Everything in the photo was Harrod's green, except her red dress and shoes. She was exiting a Bentley and a Harrod's doorman was holding a brolley as he helped her out. She had long, thin legs... and georgeous blond hair and blue eyes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, but "You can only be as happy as you allow yourself to be." So I forget about it and move on.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Film is not expensive so no one should ever regret not taking a photograph.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    I almost always bring a loaded camera (or two) with me wherever I go, just because if I don't, it almost assures that I'll see something I want to photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Film is not expensive so no one should ever regret not taking a photograph.
    Yes, but the photographs tend to be much better if one has a camera with them as opposed to being cameraless at the time. Just my opinion although you may disagree.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Many years ago I was crossing a bridge in Florence and a group of Italian motorcycle guys had gathered together. They were not like a Hells Angel Chapter, but all dressed in fantastic leather. It was like a Dolce & Gabanna ad and I didnít take the shot in case they may have objected. But thinking about it afterwards, they probably wouldnít have minded.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photographs-...3111747&sr=8-1

Interesting book, with some quite moving & strange stories by notable photographers on this very subject.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many times, anglers aren't the only ones who regret "the one that got away".
    Ben

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin