Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,558   Online: 1104

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    If your pictures need captions and have no meaning without them, they've failed.
    I don't believe in coming up with cutesie titles for my pictures either, but just because the viewer can't find "a" meaning, does not mean the photographer failed, IMO. I would much rather have some kind of "impact" on the viewer, as stated by Blansky above, but let the viewer find his own meaning. I do believe in an "informative" type wording, stopping short of adding "meaning", afterall, there could be no meaning at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't even sign my photos; if people can't figure out that I took them then I failed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter View Post
    I do believe in an "informative" type wording, stopping short of adding "meaning", afterall, there could be no meaning at all.
    I agree. Captions often work well, particularly with a series of photographs to inform the viewers interpretation of pictures. They can also work to subvert the 'meaning' of a picture which might come across visually obvious otherwise. Of course, if we're talking about decorative landscape pictures, a caption is useless and it should stand alone above the couch. But abstract or illustrative straight photographs often benefit from a subtle, even poetic directive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Too many people expect pretentious titles to rescue mediocre work.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Titles make it a lot easier to identify which photograph others are talking about - much better than "the one with the rocks and trees".

If you want to do this, just start a thread
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think you're missing the point here.

Picture this: someone takes an off-the-wall photograph that could have any number of meanings to any number of people. It is put up in a gallery for people to come up with various ideas as to what's going on.

It can be fun, actually, even if the photographs *aren't* off the wall. It's interesting to see what others think the meaning of a photograph is.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I think you're missing the point here.

Picture this: someone takes an off-the-wall photograph that could have any number of meanings to any number of people. It is put up in a gallery for people to come up with various ideas as to what's going on.

It can be fun, actually, even if the photographs *aren't* off the wall. It's interesting to see what others think the meaning of a photograph is.
    Thank you Stephanie for outlining what I meant in my original post.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    It is put up in a gallery for people to come up with various ideas as to what's going on.
    Captions/titles don't have to be descriptive, they don't have to say 'think this', they can be used poetically to encourage a more receptive state of mind, or even, evoke senses which a photograph cannot record - 'napalm' for instance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin