Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,852   Posts: 1,582,900   Online: 1024

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Caption Gallery suggestion

Perhaps APUG should have a Caption Gallery where people post images without titles and others can suggest possible captions? I have probably put this in the wrong forum.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

In my opinion if you have to caption your pictures then they don't have enough impact on their own in most cases.

Sometimes a description works to put things in context but cutesy captions suck.
    Last edited by blansky; 11-17-2012 at 01:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you take a portrait of Mr Smith, do you not caption or title it as Mr Smith?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I prefer 'Working Man'.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    huh

i thought the standard gallery was the caption gallery
    i have been adding my own captions for years ...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Then I guess this means no.

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I could see it being interesting and somewhat funny.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I don't title or caption anything.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can think of doing something like that if the photograph was a snap shot or meant to be funny - as in jokes. But many of us are photographers shooting and doing our best to express ourselves. I don't want someone else titling my work. If I left it untitled, that's because I want each person to have their own interpretation - not title it for me. If I wanted to guide the viewer in certain way as to what I meant, then I'll title it minimally. My image should say the rest.

I did ask a group at one time to help me title my work to convey what I wanted to say concisely. That's a bit different, too.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If your pictures need captions and have no meaning without them, they've failed.
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin