Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,654   Online: 899

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Classic photographers who just use one lens

I'm trying to build up a list of some of the great photographers who used only one lens for most of their work.
    People often say Henri Carrier-Bresson traveled the world with just a 50mm. I have no idea if this is true or not, but thought I would ask.

If you know of any shooters, mostly photojournalist, who did major work with just one lens please let me know.

-Rob Skeoch
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't know of any. Cartier-Bresson did not use just one lens.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    He used more then one lens later in his career. Usually a 35mm, instead of the 50mm. Don't think he went wider then that.

His early work used only a 50mm lens because that's what was available on the early Leica cameras. Once the system grew, he added an extra lens or two. Don't know if he every used a 90mm lens.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Richard Misrach 300mm , Lee Friedlander 38mm Biogon( not entire career but a significant body of work), Richard Avedon (80mm lens in rolleiflex and a 360mm in 8x10),Vivian Maier 80mm Rolleiflex.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Werner Bischoff only used Rolleiflex TLRs and created some of the best Magnum photos ever (beats HCB in my opinion), No photojournalist but famous Imogen Cunningham tended to use the normal lens for the formats she used from the mid 30's on she mostly used the Rolleiflex.
    Fritz Henle mister Rolleiflex used TLRs for most of his career 75 or 80mm lens only.

Did Arbus use different lenses on her Mamiyaflex or did she prefer one focal lenght?

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My wife shoots all her family photos with a 50/1.8 on her DSLR. The tighter framing than normal really makes you fill the frame and think about composition. I'm the photo snob, she's the mom with the camera, and I think she does great (and her facebook friends and fam like her photos) It's also very smooth background and works well in low light without flash. Beats to pieces all the point and shoot cameras and kit zooms. All things that transfer to film use well. I mostly use a 50 as well, but I'm somewhat afflicted with GAS and are more apt to use lens variety and camera variety.

Anyone that was famous for liking their rolleiflex would indeed be a good example. Vivian Maier is a more recent example. Many famous photographers of old used rolleiflexes as a tool but not their only tool.

George Hurrell used a couple different lenses, but generally changing only after years of use. "Hurrell's Hollywood Portraits" describes him quitting a studio and taking his verito with him.

Shooter
    35mm
    I recall that the early photojournalist Erich Salomon used an Ermanox camera (which took 6x4.5cm plates), with a fixed 85mm f/2 lens, for most of his work. This was supposedly the first of the miniature cameras equipped with a fast standard lens. I read somewhere that he also used an early Leica but I don't know what lens(es) that would include.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    H.C.B used 2 Leica bodys with 35,50 and 90 mm lenses.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Henry Wessel, Leica with a 28mm, for his black and white work.

Roger

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    jacques henri lautrigue ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin