Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,514   Online: 1024

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I have the same problem, but I've decided to just live with it. I'm an imperfect photographer, I always will be, practically everyone else is too, and it's a fool's errand to determine whether I feel "worthy and validated" based on the quest for perfection---it's about as useful as determining whether I feel worthy and validated based on whether I can fly!

Seeing different people's reactions to my photos has been eye-opening in this respect. The attached shot is one of my favorite photos of my son; I look it and I see that un-self-consciousness of childhood, the laser focus on any current object of interest that's one of his most basic character traits, a pleasing spot of color that breaks up what would otherwise be overly bullet-y composition, and so on. (OK, I wish the out-of-focus rocks weren't in the foreground, and that the barn column weren't growing out of his neck, but those aspects don't confront me unless I look for them.) All three of his living grandparents feel the same way and have prints of that photo in places of prominence. But my wife finds it to be merely-OK, just another cute picture of the Boy. Everyone involved is a reasonable person in most respects, everyone has taste and discernment, everyone is looking at the same photo, it just hits them differently. So if I were searching for validation, should I be perfectly satisfied because it works for me, 75% satisfied because it works for three of the four other people closest to the subject, dissatisfied because it fails to reach someone who matters, should I be waiting around until the subject can tell me dispassionately what he thinks...? I've concluded that it's a silly question and I should just get out and shoot.

(Alternatively, I could go do some actual work. Anyone want to integrate Java code as a separate thread in a Python script for me?)

-NT

Attachment 59990
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Litttle boy.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	59991

I'm sure this will be controversial but sometimes 10 minutes and you can remake an image to what you want. Personally I like the rocks. They add dimension by creating a foreground, a middle ground and a background.. A great picture, but I dislike the stripes and I think it looks better in black and white.

I've already deleted this from my files. Please feel free to do with it as you wish.
    Last edited by blansky; 11-20-2012 at 02:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have found that I need to "live" with my shots for a while. I dev and proof straight away and then just pile them up for a while. A good time to keep re visiting old proof sheets is when I'm processing film, gives me something to do.
    I find I can be more ruthless/dispassionate about the image if there is a long period of time between the taking and the printing. Or maybe this is just the confession of a slack printer

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If youwant to see if an image works or not, just look at it upside down, if it still looks interesting in terms of forms and tones you may have something.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    If youwant to see if an image works or not, just look at it upside down, if it still looks interesting in terms of forms and tones you may have something.
    That's one of the reasons why I use view cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post

I'm sure this will be controversial but sometimes 10 minutes and you can remake an image to what you want. Personally I like the rocks. They add dimension by creating a foreground, a middle ground and a background.. A great picture, but I dislike the stripes and I think it looks better in black and white.

I've already deleted this from my files. Please feel free to do with it as you wish.
    I agree with blansky. This is one typical case of a subject working better in black & white then in colour. Colours in this picture are very vivid and contrasty, they get attention, but in fact they are "not" the subject, the story being told, so they end up being a distraction. The black & white image takes the distraction away and lets the subject shine.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Even the left/right mirroring on a TLR is very instructive in seeing a composition take shape outside the context of the subject matter.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post

That's really interesting---it had never occurred to me to try that. I'm not at all sure which version I like better (and I'm so used to the color version that it's hard to judge). Thanks!

As far as I'm concerned you didn't need to delete it. I woulda said something if I wanted to restrict what was done with an image I posted.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Also possible with 35mm.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Also possible with 35mm.
    At the camera?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I love the view camera's upside down image viewing. It took some getting used to, but now I prefer it. I also find it easy to compose in square format, though, so I'm odd.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin