Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,740   Online: 1011

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Selecting a still image

Tonight, some guy spent about an hour telling me how good the Go Pro 3 was. It made me think if we are soon to film every action from multiple angles in a continuous stream, how unique film is in the fact that we select a moment/composition to capture. Do I have a point, or am I just being romantic about film technology?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sorry Cliveh, I really don't mean this to be insulting, but I feel like these threads are getting tiresome and boring. Yes, we're all romantics here.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format

Selecting a still image

Wellll... there is something special about still images in this regard, it isn't unique to film. Digital stills are also a moment out if time, though the ease of blasting away at a significant frame rate and choosing later takes away a required element of perception. Similar can be done with 35mm and motor drives but at considerable film and processing expense.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Sorry Cliveh, I really don't mean this to be insulting, but I feel like these threads are getting tiresome and boring. Yes, we're all romantics here.
    Can we view some of your none tiresome and not boring threads?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The flag raising on Iwo Jima was photographed on one single B&W frame and filmed in color from the same vantage point, with one frame from the film at the nearly identical moment. Which is most revered?
    A still reflects the moment when all comes together-intent, composition, concentration, decision. In most cases, multiple images from which to choose add nothing that clarity will not furnish better.
    Last edited by lxdude; 11-22-2012 at 09:58 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Can we view some of your none tiresome and not boring threads?
    Sure, scan my profile. I simply meant that I feel like we are having a ton of analogue vs. digital threads as of the last two months. I really didn't mean it personally. I think still images, if they can be pulled from video, are just as effective--but what you're hinting at comes down to the fact that the photographer/videographer doesn't feel the same connection because it wasn't a thoughtful capture? I think this hearkens back to the comment about motor drives and burst mode with DSLRs.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I get that talking photography in the wild, we often encounter people who only know digicams and video.

But lxdude's point strikes a deep nerve... it's the single shot taken at the moment which is prizeworthy in my mind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Funny, I didn't even think about A vs. D. I just thought of different approaches.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    Expense, huh? Pardon me if I don't see the point. I would imagine dating somebody like Halle Berry might be expensive for the costs of a fine dinner and a nighclub but WHO CARES? A camera is a tool. How much did Hemingway spend on his beat up old manual typewriters? Does anybody care? If an expesive tool works for a person that that is what that person should use. This is just my humbug opinion.
    +1

If you can make a hammer out of clay that will drive a nail through your wall. Go hang your pictures with a big smile. If you feel they're crooked, either live with it or try again.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Funny, I didn't even think about A vs. D. I just thought of different approaches.
    I didn't think about it much either... My post was two unrelated thoughts: I often encounter people who only get digital. And I admire the still you mentioned.

Talking about still photographs vs extraction from immersive recording any technology is more interesting... Immersive recording could be giving an M2 to infinite monkeys. Or setting out disposable cameras for guests at a wedding.

I was going to make some witty comment about the flag raising being staged or being the second flag of the day... But after looking at the wikipedia article on it, I appreciate the battle was difficult and the fact it was second flag raising doesn't detract. Joe clarified that the staged shot occurred later. So I was left with amazed admiration for Joe Rosenthal. Even when you watch the video you see the iconic moment happened quickly and possibly only a few frames of the movie would have been comparable.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin