Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,034   Online: 873

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes- trying to retrofit the NYC system would probably run into the billion dollar range, because you'd not only have to modify every station, but you'd have to replace all the trains so that they fit the station gates. And the stations are not standard sizes - some have higher ceilings, some lower, and the platforms are different sizes as well. Parts of the system date back to 1885, and the main underground network opened in 1904. So you're dealing with well over a century's worth of construction styles and evolving design standards.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What David and FlyingCamera said...

There are some stations where the standing area is less wide than the inside of the train, and you are basically pressed against the wall when the train pulls in... not many, but there's at least one or two like that. They ARE making new trains and new stations that are updated that will open soon (like the next few years) but not all of them certainly, just a few. NY is just too old of a system to retrofit. People just need to stop being stupid... I blame the people not the the train system.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    People just need to stop being stupid...
    That's never going to happen.

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Steve.
    +1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are some stations on the London Underground now which are totally sealed off between the platform and the track with sliding doors which only open when a train is present. I expect to see a lot more of these in the future.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/news46/3404145349/

Obviously the train driver now has to stop in exactly the right place!

Steve.
    As it is for trams in all the airports I've been to.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Of course it will. A stupid person can only get run over by a train once. After that, he won't be stupid anymore. He'll be dead.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    As it is for trams in all the airports I've been to.
    That's much easier to do at airport rail systems - they're all new, and can be designed and built to standards, and retrofits are easy because the entire system is built to the same spec. About the only thing standard on the NYC Subway is the rail gauge and the voltage the trains run on.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    That's much easier to do at airport rail systems - they're all new, and can be designed and built to standards, and retrofits are easy because the entire system is built to the same spec. About the only thing standard on the NYC Subway is the rail gauge and the voltage the trains run on.

Yea, NYC can't even convert to the tap cards like every other transit system, they still use paper cards with magnetic swipes for everything and then they get wet and you're screwed, you can get plastic ones if you request them at the window, lol. What a pain... get with the times NY! But if they can't even do that, they aren't going to be able to re-do the entire system of platforms.

Some of the water pumping stations are the original pumps from the 1800's.... seriously ... I saw an interview with one of the engineers "well, they still run, so, it's a simple design and it works, why update to a complicated electronic system, good ol' steel works just fine" I'm paraphrasing... but they aren't going to change anything ... just like APUGer's well never go digital hahahaha

Edit: never go FULLY digital...

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pop Quiz: A train is about to hit someone and you have your camera. What do you do?

Only single ride cards are paper. Get any other amount and they are plastic. But they do often get bent or magnetized easily and stop working which is a pain.

They system is terribly archaic and after any big storm the lowest stations are usually closed to pump out water. Thunderstorms usually cause signal delays lol. They have though upgraded a number of cars though to more modern ones.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Only single ride cards are paper. Get any other amount and they are plastic. But they do often get bent or magnetized easily and stop working which is a pain.

They system is terribly archaic and after any big storm the lowest stations are usually closed to pump out water. Thunderstorms usually cause signal delays lol. They have though upgraded a number of cars though to more modern ones.
    Yes you're right more recently they have made them all plastic, I forget because I always just re-load my card. For a while even the larger amounts from the machines were paper and you had to request a special plastic card, or at least I remember requesting that.

The new trains are nicer for sure, the advertising is getting a bit much, I can't find the map when the wall is covered in adds... haha

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin