Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,004   Online: 886

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Images
    Did they catch the guy that pushed him?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    Personally I find it fascinating that the dialog of this incedent focuses on a man who may or may not have been in a position to help (we will never know), and not on the person who pushed him. That would be the person who actually murdered him in cold blood.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What I've heard of the incident on the radio is that
    A: Mr. Han was intoxicated
    B: he and the man who pushed him were involved in a loud altercation with profanities exchanged
    C: Mr. Han MAY have been partially responsible for initiating the altercation (this in no way justifies what happened, but merely goes to the state of mind of any witnesses)

Given these circumstances, were I a witness, my instinct would be to A: get away from those arguing before the push occurred, and B: look for a stationmaster or transit cop to help or to try and signal the train. trying to lift someone drunk and belligerent up off the tracks is risking being pulled down yourself. And I don't blame people for being too far away to help. The whole thing transpired in a span of less than 20 seconds. As someone who rides public transit here in DC, my instinct be it on the platform, in a bus, or on the station platform is to move away from anyone exhibiting drunken and/or violent behavior, as quickly as possible, so hopefully there is no incident to begin with. I can better help someone by remaining safe myself and then calling and/or directing first responders than if I step in to a fight. I think that's true for most people.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Did they catch the guy that pushed him?
    Yes
    Suspect in deadly New York City subway push blames victim

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/06/15727169-suspect-in-deadly-new-york-city-subway-push-blames-victim?lite
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Pop Quiz: A train is about to hit someone and you have your camera. What do you do?

From that article it sounds like there is proof that the pusher wasn't really at fair and was being harassed by Han, also, the family statements make you think they weren't surprised nor angry at the pusher or cameraman so he probably wasn't a very good guy, she may have loved him but didn't seem very broken up about it.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    They were arguing in the video and it's clear that Han isn't getting the message. It appears as if he was out for a confrontation, maybe alcohol fueled, but who knows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    They were arguing in the video and it's clear that Han isn't getting the message. It appears as if he was out for a confrontation, maybe alcohol fueled, but who knows.
    As usual the innocent and the legally innocent will be pilloried, whipped, shot, hung, drawn and quartered by the press and the public. But is does sell newspapers and gets great attention for the websites that capitalize on it.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Pop Quiz: A train is about to hit someone and you have your camera. What do you do?

The photo is effective, because it enacts a fear that every New Yorker has entertained at some point, regardless of the incident that occasioned it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    We'll never know what he could have done. If I could reasonably save the life without it being a suicide act that's the priority. If you give him the benefit of the doubt, that he couldn't saved the guy then at least his pictures could hopefully help authorities to catch the killer. There was a good point made about the mentally ill. Whenever we've had mass shootings the kneejerk reaction is to call for gun control. It often turns out there were red flags about the individual that were ignored or pushed aside for political correctness reasons. Point is, if you can save a life that's first priority (in Judaism it's called Pikuach Nefesh - the principle that saving a life overrides everything) but if you can't do that, providing key evidence to the police to catch the murderer is at least something one can do.

Images
    Whether the guy was drunk, or just an ass you don't push him in front of a train.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin