Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,566   Online: 746

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Whether the guy was drunk, or just an ass you don't push him in front of a train.
    Not for us to decide, perhap to be decided in court:
    • Was he pushed off the platform intentionally? or
    • Was he pushed away in defense and as a result fell off the platform?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you watch without helping in a situation like that, you are a gutless coward. No excuses will help you, there are none. Put your tail between your legs, bow your head and never speak again…As for that wimp of a photographer, I would probably react the same way towards him as Pacino did towards spacey in Glengarry Glenn Ross…I did the same thing once when I was a young teen, I never forget how shameful It felt afterwards…ever since I ALWAYS help, even in violent situations that can cause me injury, I never want to feel that shame again.

Shooter
    35mm
    The obvious question is whether you're close enough to grab them.

I definitely wouldn't take the photo. I'd be too busy employing some robust Anglo-Saxon terms in an effort to get them to snap out of it and get off the track!
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PentaxBronica View Post
    The obvious question is whether you're close enough to grab them.

I definitely wouldn't take the photo. I'd be too busy employing some robust Anglo-Saxon terms in an effort to get them to snap out of it and get off the track!
    Or, if what I saw in the photo (posted on that website) was accurate, running down toward the edge of the platform, waving my arms and pointing at the guy trying to get the conductor to stop the train.

How is flashing your camera at the conductor supposed to warn him of an impending accident?

First, there is no way for the conductor to make the connection between a flashing camera and a human obstruction on the track.

Second, and more importantly, the flash of the camera probably distracted the driver's attention. He might not have seen the man in front of him because he was too busy looking at some yahoo taking pictures.

So, in theory, it might be said that the photographer's actions contributed to the man's death.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Strictly speculation on my part, but I saw "the" photo and something about it did not seem to support the photographer's claim he was too far away and twenty seconds was insufficient to help. The take angle was too steep suggesting he was pretty close and shooting downward. Had it been a shallower angle, it would still have had to been a bit of a tele zoom (unless the photo published was cropped and blown up). I assume the pic was digital, the data captured with each image might be telling.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Not that I'm defending anyone, but as I said and posted a picture (which a cleaned up version is now in my gallery) the man was drunk and belligerent and harassing the pusher, sure he shouldn't have pushed him INTO the tracks, but he may have just been frightened and pushed him away and the drunk stumbling fool lost his footing. Also if the man hadn't been drunk he probably would have known that he could simply have walked between the posts and gone to the other side of the track or stood between the posts and been perfectly safe. Reading between the lines of the interview of the girl (daughter/wife?) you can infer that he was probably not a nice man and she didn't seem too surprised that he was drunk, angry, and harassing someone else. I just think we are putting entirely too much blame on everyone else and no blame on the "victim" who was only a victim of his own stupidity and lack of self control.

I do agree that if given time, I would have instructed the guy to walk to the other side of the track, but I would not have tried to help him out, especially seeing how drunk he was on the video recorded on the cell phone, I would be scared he would pull me in with him (which is what you are taught in life saving class NOT to do... which I have taken) you don't let the frantic person near you, you stay just out of reach and guide them to safety, or they will inevitably end up dragging you down with them and you both die.

I know people are saying "I would have helped" but I think if you were actually in a situation like that, you would probably act differently, it's easy to say you're a hero, but much harder to take action when there's a train coming at you... especially true apparently if you're drunk..

(no I'm not a bad guy, I just have been in situations where I would have been dead if I "acted a fool") ~"That's Just My Opinion, I Could be Wrong" - Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I'm going to be sick. DROP THE FRIGGIN' CAMERA AND BE HUMAN!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I will not criticize this guy. In a situation like this there is either no decision or a "no" decision.

What I mean is that the time I saved a man from a burning car, I was up and running to it before I realized what was even happening and "oh-shit-what-am-I-doing" popped into my head only while dragging him across the ground. But then 2 other times (one just a couple weeks ago), when I witnessed motorcyclists sliding and rolling across the pavement, I hung back and dialed 911.

You never know how you will react until you do.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Pop Quiz: A train is about to hit someone and you have your camera. What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I will not criticize this guy. In a situation like this there is either no decision or a "no" decision.

What I mean is that the time I saved a man from a burning car, I was up and running to it before I realized what was even happening and "oh-shit-what-am-I-doing" popped into my head only while dragging him across the ground. But then 2 other times (one just a couple weeks ago), when I witnessed motorcyclists sliding and rolling across the pavement, I hung back and dialed 911.

What he/she said...

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    That is exactly the point that the arm chair or computer chair critics do not understand.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin