Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,874   Posts: 1,520,174   Online: 1017

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    This phenomena is also recorded by quite famous photographers and I may be wrong about this, but I understand that after Weegee took this picture

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37775831@N02/3945466703/

the drunk walked into the road and was killed, which Weegee recorded as a series of pictures. Why did he not try to help the poor guy?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Apparently the photo inspired this woman to save two men from an oncoming train:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1215851

The statistic advertised in the subway is that 150-some people are struck by trains annually and 40-some are killed. So whether the photographer could have saved the guy who fell in the tracks or not, if the photo raises awareness about the hazards of the subway and inspires people to be aware of their surroundings and to help people in danger, then maybe it does more good than harm.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Pop Quiz: A train is about to hit someone and you have your camera. What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Apparently the photo inspired this woman to save two men from an oncoming train:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1215851

The statistic advertised in the subway is that 150-some people are struck by trains annually and 40-some are killed. So whether the photographer could have saved the guy who fell in the tracks or not, if the photo raises awareness about the hazards of the subway and inspires people to be aware of their surroundings and to help people in danger, then maybe it does more good than harm.
    Well at least she tried to help, the guy who jumped into the tracks is also a hero even if it took some urging. Lol

All's well that ends well...

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    That is exactly the point that the arm chair or computer chair critics do not understand.
    You're right, Sirius. With my experience, this whole thread pisses me off. Until you've been there, you have no idea. I've been a hero. I've been a chump. I suggest people read "The Red Badge of Courage".
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I will not criticize this guy. In a situation like this there is either no decision or a "no" decision.

What I mean is that the time I saved a man from a burning car, I was up and running to it before I realized what was even happening and "oh-shit-what-am-I-doing" popped into my head only while dragging him across the ground. But then 2 other times (one just a couple weeks ago), when I witnessed motorcyclists sliding and rolling across the pavement, I hung back and dialed 911.

You never know how you will react until you do.
    He was cognizant enough to "decide" to photograph a certain death. He was thinking well enough and made his "decision". And he got the photo and the recognition for it. The very idea of even "thinking" between taken a photo or saving a person's life is indicative of our society today. The photographer claimed he didn't have time to get there anyway?? BS!! He could have at least TRIED without any real danger to his own safety. But, no, he "decided" to take a photo instead. Snap decision or not... it was WRONG!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    This phenomena is also recorded by quite famous photographers and I may be wrong about this, but I understand that after Weegee took this picture

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37775831@N02/3945466703/

the drunk walked into the road and was killed, which Weegee recorded as a series of pictures. Why did he not try to help the poor guy?
    The drunk wasn't in inevitable danger... about to immediately killed. There's a huge difference. Even if the man was later struck by a car, whether or not Weegee would have tried to help the man if he saw it coming is unknown. So it's not a comparable image.
    Last edited by Old-N-Feeble; 12-09-2012 at 11:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pop Quiz: A train is about to hit someone and you have your camera. What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    I think I'm going to be sick. DROP THE FRIGGIN' CAMERA AND BE HUMAN!!
    +1
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    This phenomena is also recorded by quite famous photographers and I may be wrong about this, but I understand that after Weegee took this picture the drunk walked into the road and was killed, which Weegee recorded as a series of pictures. Why did he not try to help the poor guy?
    I wouldn't expect Weegee to do anything but shoot pictures.

Me? I take no pictures in life and death situations, I drop everything to help - even if there is little I can do. Last time someone got hurt, there were three capable adults present to help. I could have reached in my backpack for the camera and let the others help. Instead I pulled out the first aid kit and provided gauze.

I do not fault the photographer in this case. I believe he could have interceded (like a moderator) before it escalated. He could have yelled "hey, come here" and it could have changed the whole story. But he didn't and that opportunity was lost. How could he have known what was to unfold?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    *double post*
    Last edited by Old-N-Feeble; 12-09-2012 at 12:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^^^ He had time to take a photo. He could have rushed over in an attempt to pull the man out of the way. He could have done this without any serious risk to his own life. He decided to take a photograph instead. Would he make the same decision next time? Who here would? If the man has any conscience at all he'll be deeply ashamed for the rest of his life.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin