Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,726   Online: 1074

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 59101112131415

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Guardian article (rant) is the typical criticism we've all read a million times - and usually from the Guardian. It's unfortunate the the writer has 'photophobia' because of one incident which he believes is some kind of profound awakening. 'How can you fool yourself about this? For every wacky picture you take and upload, a million just as wacky are being taken.' Don't take wacky pictures?

I play with Instagram and use it to practice compositions when I'm walking to and from - when I'm not out with the intention of photographing that is. I feel I use it more creatively, and personally than 'non-photographers' (whatever they are) and the main reason being that I've never, not once, participated in or looked at the community side of it. I make the same kind of photographs I do on film, they're just a lite version. I don't know what's going on in the world of Instagram photography, and if I did, I'd probably start unconsciously following the creative trends that so many scorn. I've said that about Flickr on APUG too, about which the same criticisms can be made; collective quality of work playing second fiddle to the function Flickr uploads have - networking, social validation. But, as ever, my most deeply held photographic philosophy is don't consider amateur work any kind of benchmark. If you do your own thing, and consciously ignore everything else (amateur), you'll come up with unique solutions to problems you create yourself. This IS possible with Instagram, if you consciously ignore it as a social networking tool.

I'm personally not concerned about the selling off of uploads, because all the pictures I've played with are in my phone memory only. That's to say, I use Instagram.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I guess my complaint is not about any technology (regardless of market share) but rather, my complaint is about people and their behavior.

and, no, I do not believe that the technology has necessarily caused the behaviour. In other words, I still believe that one can own and use a given technology without the technology displacing one's culture. I think it possible to own and use a smartphone without letting it get in the way of normal human face-to-face interaction. Unfortunately, possession of a smartphone, for many, separates them from their humanity. I see high school kids walking to school in a group...none of them are talkingt to one another nor even looking at each other...they're all staring down at the little smartphone..texting (maybe even texting each other), or doing whatever they do...same thing happened the other night at the jazz lounge...a bunch of adults all sitting together but, all intently interacting with the technology instead of with one another...
    I have a phone that I use for calls, texts, and occasionally a picture (like if the wife sends me to the store for something and I don't know which one to get - a camera phone is great for that). It's a "dumb" phone.

I am guilty of texting someone in the same room as me - usually if it's something I don't want others (like the kids) to overhear. Otherwise I just talk to 'em if we're in the same room.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    a bunch of adults all sitting together but, all intently interacting with the technology instead of with one another...
    Nothing gets on my nerves more than trying to converse with friends while they stare at their phones with a grin. Maybe a little solar flare wouldn't be such a horrible thing, and our film cameras would still work!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    It's just written that way to cover them for when people share an image and they have no control over where it will appear. Same as Facebook.

I'm sure they have no intention to sell images despite what paranoid minds think!

Steve.
    Ahh, that British humor...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    They didn't back down, they were just mis-interpreted.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/18/3...ey-really-mean

Steve.
    Ahh, that British humor...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No. It's British Humour!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oops! How could I fourget that?

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 59101112131415

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin