Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,839   Online: 978

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Screwdrivers are made to build things with and pounding nails with one is simply another means of construction. Not every structure has to pass inspection.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

—Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Phones are made to communicate with and sharing photos is simply another means of communicating. Not every photograph has to be a work of art.
    I do not disagree with any of this...and, in fact, I would never posit that any of my photos are art. (I'm not really even convinced that a photo can be art).

The point is, why can't these people just leave me alone? I don't pepper them with dumb questions like...

what kinda phone is that?
    Why didn't you get the white one?
    Why don't you use a real camera?
    Can you still buy batteries for that?
    What happens when the battery goes dead?
    How do you get prints?
    What happens when your disk drive crashes?
    Why do you take your phone out in the middle of conversing with me?
    How many mega pixels is that?
    How much do you pay for the data plan?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Phones are made to communicate
    Really? Ever hang out with an iPhone owner? They're pretty hard to communicate with.

Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I have been accused of being a surveyor. (More than once)
    LOL what camera do you use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    The point is, why can't these people just leave me alone?

You probably look approachable. You also look like you are enjoying what you are doing. You are also doing things others don't do much anymore. People are curious. Try looking like you are working and you really aren't enjoying it.

I've been seeing people don't equate taking pictures with making photographs anymore. For many, it's a proof you were there and you had fun.... It's more of a documentation thing. Not for them, it's for others to see and comment on social networking site..... for next 10 minutes or so. Then it's all forgotten.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    The point is, why can't these people just leave me alone? I don't pepper them with dumb questions like...
    That's the price you pay for being 'different' and standing out from the masses. If you don't enjoy being bothered, either conform or shoot your photos when/where there aren't many people.

You should wear your 'film shooter badge' proudly.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by DSLR View Post
    Really? Ever hang out with an iPhone owner? They're pretty hard to communicate with.
    They ARE communicating with each other - just not in ways that most of us understand or appreciate.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I've been seeing people don't equate taking pictures with making photographs anymore. For many, it's a proof you were there and you had fun.... It's more of a documentation thing. Not for them, it's for others to see and comment on social networking site..... for next 10 minutes or so. Then it's all forgotten.
    I consider there are two major categories of consumer photos: memory photos of important events (weddings, etc) and 'throw-away' photos designed to share a 'moment of time' (what I'm having for lunch, etc). I don't have any problem with people shooting 'throw-away' photos as a form of instant communications.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have an iphone AND a preponderance of strange olde worlde cameras. There, I've said it.

The iphone is truly a wondrous object, that far surpasses the technology Dick Tracy could wear on his arm, and is useful in so many ways. (phone, note taker, encyclopaedia, light meter, timer, map, compass, folio, radio, newspaper, etc etc etc). Like ANY tool, some folks use them badly, some folks use them well. In a few years, what seems strange and rude now will be commonplace or obsolete.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    If someone asked me why I was using a film camera I would simply state that I am used to doing that. I process my own film and I like the results. I would also state that I own 6000 classical music LPs and that did not cost me a fortune because in Philadelphia, despite holding onto a world class Orchestra, the people who visit thrift stores despise classical music and I got it all for cheap over the decades. A similar collection in CDs would have bankrupted me long ago.

I would finish by saying, without apology, that matured technologies have all the bugs ironed out. And then finalize with "if your camera broke would you stand a good chance of being able to fix it yourself?"

No angst, no animus, just common sense. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I don't plan on ever owning a phone which doesn't connect to the telephone exchange via a wire coming into my house.

Steve.
    Steve, mobiles are handy if your car breaks down or you lose the wife in Tesco's.
    Last edited by cliveh; 12-12-2012 at 02:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin