Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,697   Online: 896

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    You probably look approachable. You also look like you are enjoying what you are doing. You are also doing things others don't do much anymore. People are curious. Try looking like you are working and you really aren't enjoying it.

I've been seeing people don't equate taking pictures with making photographs anymore. For many, it's a proof you were there and you had fun.... It's more of a documentation thing. Not for them, it's for others to see and comment on social networking site..... for next 10 minutes or so. Then it's all forgotten.
    I'm struck by the irony...I'm mostly doing the same thing except that, I'll photograph my memory with a Bronica 645, a 4x5 Crown Graphic or an Ilford Pinhole and post a traditional B&W photo (well, a digital representation of one anyway) to my on-line social media page.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post

Why can't people just leave me the F&%^$ alone?...
    Why don't you get a T-shirt that says that?

Problem solved.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post

Problem solved.

Good idea....!!! I think I might.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by munz6869 View Post
    phone, note taker, encyclopaedia, light meter, timer, map, compass, folio, radio, newspaper, etc etc etc
    I already have that and it costs $0/month.

Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post

Problem solved.
    That would be a great T-shirt, but it would be counterproductive lol.
    Last edited by DSLR; 12-12-2012 at 03:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    What's worse is being turned away from an event because you have a camera, while everyone with smart phones walk right in.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    What's worse is being turned away from an event because you have a camera, while everyone with smart phones walk right in.
    That says something about the promoters concern about relative image quality, doesn't it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Boy.. that sounds familier.. I get that all the time too. Most of time I'm happy to explain and show off my Rollei to people and explain what it does. And yes.. you can still get film, not at at Walgreens , but on-line. It's wierd but any film camera that we sport out in public is like we have a never before seen camera, cause eveyone has a android or Iphone. I was at the Apple store store here in Albq. The sales clerk asked me first thing on what a beautiful camera it was and ask those very same questions. I was happy to explain. the roles were reversed meaning I felt like was the salesman and he was the customer. I tried to ask question about Ipad Mini, but the conversation keeped going back to Rollei.. I had about three clerks around me just staring at it and asking question. There was one guy that said when he lived in NY city there were "Hipsters" that carried them around but really sucked at taking pictures with them. I asked.. "So they were more like a fashion accessory"? He said "Yes". So yhea... I would consider us the film shooters a cut above the Norm from people that are using cell phone camera.

ToddB
    Last edited by ToddB; 12-12-2012 at 04:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I should add . The worst question was I was asked is if my TLR was a 3-D camera. Really???

ToddB

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    I should add . The worst question was I was asked is if my TLR was a 3-D camera. Really???

ToddB

Well, it DOES have two lenses. (I have see stereo pair images that are 'over and under'.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We've had some bad weather here lately, and on Monday we finally had a nice day. In the hour right before sunset ( so early at 5PM!) it was glorious and the air was crystal clear. Everything was green and glowing and shining from all the recent rains. I went to a local park to have a walk, and saw a couple walking. The fellow had his head bent into his phone and I watched him walk a quarter mile or so that way.... he had no idea where he was or what was around him... utterly and completely oblivious. The expression on his face looked just like somebody watching TV ( for all I know, maybe that's what he was doing! )

I didn't have any particular reaction, except it made me feel sad.

I have a little 6x9 folder that I really like to carry around with me. I've had a lot of people ask me about it, but I think every one has said something like "that looks like fun". Always positive and friendly. I'm not sure I'd know how to respond if someone asked "why would you want to do that"... I guess I'd just think they were as oblivious as the phone-headed fellow and probably shrug them off.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin