Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,665   Online: 906

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Why can't people just leave me the F&%^$ alone and let me photograph stuff like all the iPhone wielding people?
    I see—you need to get a darkcloth. You put it over your head, which sends a most polite signal to the onlookers. Underneath, you listen, search for a business card, and wait. At first, they may be puzzled, but eventually they get bored and go away. The odd ones who stay behind deserve some recognition for their level of interest. Pass a card now.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    just shrug your shoulders and make believe you don't understand a word they are saying.
    and if they don't relent, blurt out nonsense from a restaurant menu ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

So tired of the iPhone culture

Y "Why would anyone use that?" - this invariably comes from somebody who is old enough and has the experience to know damned well what I'm doing and what is involved. It just seems combative.

So turn it back on them... Point to their phone and ask "why do you use THAT?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was out for eats and drinks at a local jazz place the other night and all around me folks are whipping out their smart phone, taking photos and doing whatever they do with 'em after that.

Nobody gives this kind of activity a second thought these days...

so why is it that every time I pull out a camera, I get at least one, usually several people standing around staring at me and asking dumb stuff like,

"What kinda camera is that?"
    "can you still get film for that?"
    "how many mega pixels is that?"
    "Is that black and white?"

and the one I really dislike....

"Why would you use that?"

Why can't people just leave me the F&%^$ alone and let me photograph stuff like all the iPhone wielding people?
    and your answers are: better than yours; no, I just like carrying it around; it measures pixels in terabytes, and no, just black.

then i show them my M4 or speed graphic or nikon f2 and say "My (fill in the blank) could crush your iPhone/digitalthingy and photograph the remains."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

So tired of the iPhone culture

Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post

I used have a cell phone. I lost it and didn't replace it. Sweet freedom!

I often think about loosing mine, and setting a personal limit of one hour a day for the Internet.

I'll be the first to admit I'm highly addicted to both my phone, and the net.... And my iPad only enables me even more.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ah...you guys are cracking me up! Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    I also don't have, and never will have a cell phone.
    When the telephone became available, after a while, people thought they couldn't live without it. Then the cell phone came along, and now people think they can't live without that.
    They're wrong.
    When people ask me why I still shoot film, I tell them I enjoy the process more, and try to limit the amount of time spent in front of a computer. Many of them look quizzically, wondering why I would want to limit my time in front of a computer.....
    You can't win. Just shoot and be happy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Picture this: a camera on a tripod with the darkcloth over the photographer when someone stops and asks what's going on. The photographer lifts the darkcloth off revealing an iPhone on the tripod. The person who stops says, "Oh, I see, never mind."

iphones and cell phones are icons of modern life supplanting the once ubiquitous film camera.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    just shrug your shoulders and make believe you don't understand a word they are saying.
    and if they don't relent, blurt out nonsense from a restaurant menu ..
    That should be interesting...

"Bacon, eggs and toast, four ninety-nine; hamburger, fries and a Coke, five ninety-nine; chocolate pudding, two fifty; T-bone steak, baked potato and salad, twelve ninety-nine...."

They'll either back away slowly looking at you funny, or just leave to get something to eat.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Steve, mobiles are handy if your car breaks down or you lose the wife in Tesco's.
    It depends "if you lose your wife at Tesco's", if you have any wish to find her
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin