Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,584   Posts: 1,545,786   Online: 1039

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is Tesco's?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here at work, they're offering some staff Iphones. If they offered it to me, I tell them no. It's a free ball a chain to put me on call so I can work for the 24/7. Sorry I have a life outside of work. I'm not that important.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Here at work, they're offering some staff Iphones. If they offered it to me, I tell them no. It's a free ball a chain to put me on call so I can work for the 24/7. Sorry I have a life outside of work. I'm not that important.
    Bingo! If they pay for it you HAVE to answer when it rings and respond to stupid emails in the evening and on weekends. I have refused it for a couple years now and still have a very simple cellphone. I come in on Monday morning and there are all these email threads involving the people who got sucked in. It's not worth it.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I was out for eats and drinks at a local jazz place the other night and all around me folks are whipping out their smart phone, taking photos and doing whatever they do with 'em after that.

Nobody gives this kind of activity a second thought these days...

so why is it that every time I pull out a camera, I get at least one, usually several people standing around staring at me and asking dumb stuff like,

"What kinda camera is that?"
    "can you still get film for that?"
    "how many mega pixels is that?"
    "Is that black and white?"

and the one I really dislike....

"Why would you use that?"

Why can't people just leave me the F&%^$ alone and let me photograph stuff like all the iPhone wielding people?
    People are naturally curious about unfamiliar things. In that context, the questions you mentioned are not at all "dumb"; they are normal and understandable.

If you were driving an antique car, people would ask about it. Likewise for riding a unicycle, setting up an easel and painting, hunting for meteorites in the park with a metal detector or any other activity that is unfamiliar to most people.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasT View Post
    What is Tesco's?
    Tesco is a huge building you wander around with your wife while she puts things into a trolley. Before you are allowed to leave they empty your wallet. I'm sure you have similar places.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Benoît99 View Post
    People are naturally curious about unfamiliar things. In that context, the questions you mentioned are not at all "dumb"; they are normal and understandable.

If you were driving an antique car, people would ask about it. Likewise for riding a unicycle, setting up an easel and painting, hunting for meteorites in the park with a metal detector or any other activity that is unfamiliar to most people.
    Hmmm.....Yes...obviously and yet, sometimes, I still want to be able to whip out my camera and snap a photo without anybody thinking it unusual - like the iPhone folks.

It wasn't so long ago that nobody even noticed a guy wielding a Spotmatic.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I was out for eats and drinks at a local jazz place the other night and all around me folks are whipping out their smart phone, taking photos and doing whatever they do with 'em after that.

Nobody gives this kind of activity a second thought these days...

so why is it that every time I pull out a camera, I get at least one, usually several people standing around staring at me and asking dumb stuff like,

"What kinda camera is that?"
    "can you still get film for that?"
    "how many mega pixels is that?"
    "Is that black and white?"

and the one I really dislike....

"Why would you use that?"

Why can't people just leave me the F&%^$ alone and let me photograph stuff like all the iPhone wielding people?
    I was out using my Kodak Autographic Folder and a couple came up to me asking me questions about it and saying exactly those things "you can get film for that still?" etc, the best part was when they admitted that they were a "professional" photography team/couple and thats what they did for a living, and they knew nothing about film, they actually said "I didn't know an f stop could go to 45... wow!" haha I offered my card/contact info, both the antique car owner and the couple never contacted me, shame, I got a really nice 30 second bulb exposure at f/45 off of the car...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Tesco is a huge building you wander around with your wife while she puts things into a trolley. Before you are allowed to leave they empty your wallet. I'm sure you have similar places.

Steve.
    I think we yanks call that kinda place "Sams Club" or "Costco".

At Costco, each time the wife drops an item intothe cart, they take another $10 (minimum) from your wallet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreasT View Post
    What is Tesco's?
    Tesco is a chain of supermarkets Andeas, like your Aldi.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder if we can make a HUGE i phone look-a-like LF camera?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin