Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,983   Online: 898

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    ... they actually said "I didn't know an f stop could go to 45... wow!" haha I offered my card/contact info, both the antique car owner and the couple never contacted me, shame, I got a really nice 30 second bulb exposure at f/45 off of the car...
    Is that scale related in some way, to the scale we know of today?

http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

You can. Sort of..

Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I wonder if we can make a HUGE i phone look-a-like LF camera?
    Get a tripod socket for an Ipad and put a focusing cloth over it. You can be the 21st century Ed Weston!
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My older No. 1A autographic Jr. uses the "US" scale for aperture... ( "Universal System" ). Easy enough to convert, but you get to set it to a whopping 128 for F45... Then my Weston meter used "Weston emulsion speeds" instead of asa or iso. When I got my newer autographic, I had to convert F-system back to US system to understand what I was doing... round and round and round... All of which is a lot more satisfying than pointing a telephone at the scene...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Tesco is a huge building you wander around with your wife while she puts things into a trolley. Before you are allowed to leave they empty your wallet. I'm sure you have similar places.

Steve.
    They don't let me in, my wallet is empty already.
    Besides these new cultural sights are not my kind of culture.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I often get asked "Can that old camera make colored pictures?" Other than the absolutely dumbfounded look I give them, I tell them any camera can, it depends on the film. They usually say things like "Oh, I thought they didn't make cameras for color until the '60s or '70s." What's most surprising is it's usually older folks asking!

The surprise to most observers, I think, is that someone is trying to learn and make an effort. You're not sitting around letting your camera do the work, and this takes away from the joy of socializing without joining society. We live in a throw away, have it now world. The cheapest camera can make your picture for you, freeing you from the burden of knowledge or effort, and we all know at least a dozen folks free from the burden of any practical knowledge, right? If you have to learn to make pictures and wait for them, how can you enjoy photography, or Facebook every shot you make?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ...The same reason you dont use some sort of piano app on the i phone to play a nice piece, you use a real wood piano. Most people dont even know there is a difference though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Once this young chap came up to me, slightly drunk holding two beer bottles in his arms similar like that famous Bresson photo of the boy carring the large bottle. He asked what I am doing. Telling him I am taking a photo I told him I am usuing film he kept on saying amazing, amazing. Excited as if I had the newest craze. Then he asked how it works. Me explaining a drunk guy how light goes through the lens etc. etc. I love it when the people then say "on my camera the picture is not upside down".
    But what I loved was when I told him about film how it works, he said so it is like when you are burning a CD.
    You had to be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was out testing my Rolleiflex 2.8F, which was mounted in the ever-ready case with the lens shade on, the other day.

People had looooooong stares and probably wonderd wtf this was.
    Two young boys around 14 or 15 passed me and one of the could not stop himself from blurting out "WHooaaaaaa! LOOK AT THAT CAMERA, DUDE!"

Nothing condescending, his jaw just dropped, I don't really care about stuff like that anymore.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    "WHooaaaaaa! LOOK AT THAT CAMERA, DUDE!"
    I had a similar comment from someone simarlarly aged whilst out with my Rolleicord.

I think I have found a way to make an i-phone almost acceptable: http://www.find-me-a-gift.co.uk/gift...+Phone+Handset

If I had to have a mobile phone, it would need one of these attached.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Felinik View Post
    Is that scale related in some way, to the scale we know of today?
    It's similar to Bb demented minor.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin