Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,539   Online: 939

View Poll Results: are you self taught or not?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am

59 56.73%
  • No I have had formal training

12 11.54%
  • Yes and no

31 29.81%
  • I don't know what I am doing

2 1.92%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Both. No one is totally self-taught, IMO. Follow a set of instructions -- someone else just showed you the way. Read a book -- someone else is teaching you. Look at someone else's print, then that person just taught you something.

The self-taught and the self-made person is a pleasant myth.
    How true.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The missing category in the poll is "informally trained".

I had the benefit of a "non-formal" photographic tutor for a short while; a short period of professional experience; lots of amateur experience; a course or two in related imaging technology; and a lot more amateur experience. Hence: yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Are you self taught or did you formal training?

Nothing formal for me either. In college I studied more on the art and photo history side and got degrees in degrees in different subjects (anthropology & business). Learned a little bit of basic darkroom stuff from a friend, and the rest was from books, the web, and self experimentation.

doh.. I miss clicked on the poll, you cant undo and revote can you? haha
    Last edited by Newt_on_Swings; 12-14-2012 at 07:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've done formal education (Maryland Institute College of Art Continuing Studies program), informal (Center for Alternative Processes, Project Basho, Smithsonian Resident Associates), and "self-taught" (pick up a book, follow the directions, get a result, lather, rinse, repeat).

Images
    Good Afternoon Again,

In my first post in this thread, I neglected to mention that I've been with APUG almost since its beginning; that's added enormously to whatever photographic knowledge I can claim. Many thanks to those who have contributed!

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I said "self taught" but yes, to me that equates to 'no formal training'. I shot a few rolls with folding Kodaks of models no longer remembered when I was maybe 8 or 9 in the late 1940s (gulp!), presumably with some parental advice. I was then awarded a Brownie Target Six-20* (to keep some distance between me and my parents 'good' cameras, I'll bet). I remember a Cub Scout activity when a bunch of us developed a roll of film -- see-sawing through containers under a red safelight -- must have been the original ortho Verichrome. The photography stuck better than the scouting, and by high school I was improvising a darkroom and doing some stuff at home.

Observing details, and working with processes changing one variable at a time can be a significant learning experience.

I've had perhaps a little more formal training in the painting side of things, although even that was mostly at the adult evening school sort of thing. (Grade school "art" classes were just enough they could claim they had some as I remember them.) Certainly comments about light and composition could equally apply to photography -- in the art side, as opposed to the technology. In the tech areas I pursued all sorts of mechanical and electrical stuff from the time I was a toddler, so some things seem to me to have just happened by magic, though perhaps someone like my dad may have tossed out some pointers along the way. By now I can claim about sixty years of experience -- even though I don't think it actually means much.

* Still have it, still works -- a good investment on their part!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    Well I said "self taught" but yes, to me that equates to 'no formal training'.
    Same here. I am quite lucky in that if I see how someone does something, I can usually do it myself. This is why I do my own carpentry, building work, plumbing, central heating, electrical work, etc.

Other things I have picked up at work without formal training include CAD drawing, using our CNC router and various other machines.

I consider all of this to be self tuition even if it did involve asking other people questions.

I don't have qualifications in any of it but I'm too close to retirement to worry about that now!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    Well I said "self taught" but yes, to me that equates to 'no formal training'....
    Yes, I think that's pretty much what we all meant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mostly self taught with lots of trial and error, research at libraries, asking questions, and now the internet ==> APUG, graflex.org, large format camera, and hasselblad.info.

Taught by coworkers at Kodak and a lesson with Per Volquartz.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had one high school class that included photography.

Plus another two high school classes learning how to operate offset presses, including camera work in support.

Plus two night school courses that were really just a way of getting time in a darkroom.

Plus lots and lots and lots of informal education from my father, friends, co-workers, and Kodak publications.

Plus APUG .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin