Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,571   Online: 1059

View Poll Results: are you self taught or not?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am

59 56.73%
  • No I have had formal training

12 11.54%
  • Yes and no

31 29.81%
  • I don't know what I am doing

2 1.92%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I put yes and no. I've never had any real training other than in 6th grade with a very basic class in school. They taught us that this is a camera, this is film, and here is how we develop it. But I have read a large amount about photography, including Ansel Adams, Scott Kelby, and so many others.

Sometimes, self directed learning is far more potent than formalized structured environments. The structure often shorts those who are either behind or ahead. With self teaching you go at your pace, and can learn in areas where you are weak.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post

Anyway that and I want to have access to resources that colleges provide. Contacts in the photo world so I can get my Kodachrome book published and such, things I can't do on my own, I need guidance. I never saw the value in a formal education until now, I wasn't ready, now that I am, I fear it's too late...

~Stone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's never too late to keep learning. In NY, you have some fantastic programs you can access. There's always ICP, and if you ever get the itch to learn alternative processes, there's CAP (Center for Alternative Processes, formerly known as Center For Antique And Historic Processes, CFAAHP. CAP is an improvement ). Don't forget NYU, SVA, to name a couple. I'm sure some of the community colleges have courses you could take for a less money.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As others have pointed out, I think "self-taught" is a bit of an oxymoron. You can't teach yourself what you don't know, but you can learn from others in a variety of ways. I've had a small amount of formal training: In high school, I took the one photography class available back in the late 80s. Most of my early work wasn't very good but I enjoyed shooting, and I especially enjoyed working in the dark room. I used to stay after school whenever I could, and spent a lot of time splashing around in chemicals.

A few years ago I took a night class at the local university titled "Advanced Photoshop". The instructor was knowledgeable and helpful, and I learned a lot in that class. In particular, I learned how to use layers, which has been enormously helpful. I still go back and periodically review the audio recordings I made. Learning PS is a lot like learning a language: if you don't practice it regularly it's easily forgotten.

Apart from those two formal bits of training, I've learned from the Web (Youtube has been especially useful), as well as books by Scott Kelby and others. And of course I've learned a good deal by taking many crappy photos.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lancekingphoto View Post
    You can't teach yourself what you don't know
    You can if you're the first person to do it. Then you have no choice.

I don't think the Wright brothers went to aircraft pilot school.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Are you self taught or did you formal training?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    It's never too late to keep learning. In NY, you have some fantastic programs you can access. There's always ICP, and if you ever get the itch to learn alternative processes, there's CAP (Center for Alternative Processes, formerly known as Center For Antique And Historic Processes, CFAAHP. CAP is an improvement ). Don't forget NYU, SVA, to name a couple. I'm sure some of the community colleges have courses you could take for a less money.
    If I had a "normal" job where I could schedule classes, I would have ... [tangent] (also I live in CT, only use the name since I'm there often and it's catchy and easy to remember and AVAILABLE, my old site name was ...

www.stoneiiiphotography.com

My new one is www.stonenyc.com

MUCH easier... (I'm blind how many 'i' s is that? ... Got that a lot before...)

Now I just need to make the site look nice instead of cheesy like it is now and I'll be all set!

[end tangent]

As I was saying... But I get my work set sporadically and ALWAYS need to be available for a call for the next day, I tried taking a single course once and missed 5 classes in a row because work fell on those days and so the professor failed me because I was being "irresponsible" by not coming to class, it was that or not have gas money to drive to school or eat... So formal education will be difficult. And work can be at all hours so not like I can take might classes or something, trust me if you suggest something I've probably thought of it before, until I change careers it's a lose/lose in photography unless I suddenly get a Jaggers (Abel) to elevate me to stardom! {Charles Dickens reference}.

Not to mention the commute to NY just for school, it finding a DECENT school in CT. lol

Thanks though.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lancekingphoto View Post
    As others have pointed out, I think "self-taught" is a bit of an oxymoron. You can't teach yourself what you don't know, but you can learn from others in a variety of ways.
    not sure about that.

some of the best things in life have been learned by mistake
    tinkering, and pushing oneself to do something different ...
    thats how inventions and discoveries are made every day.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

We all know that self taught is just a description of learning from trial and error as well as from other resources, all it means is you haven't gone the traditional rout of formal education, lets not be nit picky... Lets just tell our stories

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Also don't really think the term self taught is very helpful.

I learned by trial and error, books, DVDs etc as well as over 30 seminars, workshops, classes with about 15 that were held by Professional Photographers of America in a small town in Indiana. As with almost all of them they were a week in length and taught by working photographers, most at the top of their field, who came in to teach for a week.

On top of that there are many convention programs, day long workshops and in some cases I traveled to the persons home and spent a week with them.

So this could hardly be called self taught.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Also don't really think the term self taught is very helpful.

I learned by trial and error, books, DVDs etc as well as over 30 seminars, workshops, classes with about 15 that were held by Professional Photographers of America in a small town in Indiana. As with almost all of them they were a week in length and taught by working photographers, most at the top of their field, who came in to teach for a week.

On top of that there are many convention programs, day long workshops and in some cases I traveled to the persons home and spent a week with them.

So this could hardly be called self taught.
    So then click "yes and no"....

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been self-taught. Doesn't my work show it?

All kidding aside, I've also watched internet training videos (mainly Photoshop type stuff). Is that considered being self-taught?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin