Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,112   Online: 981

View Poll Results: are you self taught or not?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am

59 56.73%
  • No I have had formal training

12 11.54%
  • Yes and no

31 29.81%
  • I don't know what I am doing

2 1.92%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I made my first prints in the employee recreation darkroom at the Grand Canyon (Grand Canyon Village -- South Rim). Too long ago to remember the finer details. I had the camera shop in Flagstaff develop my 120 film, bought a couple packs of paper and drove back to the Canyon. Muddled through somehow, remember laying the RC prints on the railing around the stairway to dry. Still have them 35 years later.

Back at college, I took a photo class once a year for the next 4 years, and volunteered as a darkroom assistant. I also attended a couple Friends of Photography workshops, then was a workshop assistant for them for many years. I worked for the US Forest Service for 12 seasons (~6 months each) and during the off-season volunteered again at the university as a darkroom assistant (with full access to the darkroom, of course!) I have worked the past 20 years as the darkroom tech for a university and have been giving carbon printing workshops for the past several years. No better way to learn than to teach!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mainly self taught. Playing around and learning the relations between aperture and shutter speeds on my own, burning through some film. In college, I did take a few photography courses, which focused mainly on digital, so as I continued on with film it was more by teaching myself. Though with those college courses, I had access to a nice darkroom which my instructor helped me with and I just experimented as I always have with my photography. Otherwise, being the only film shooter in my classes, I had the freedom to go my own way and learn, as I continue to do so!
    "If it can be written or thought, it can be filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Self taught from age 12 to 17. Then I majored in photography in college and ended up with a BA. Mostly I knew the technical end of things before college.
    The degree was geared for working photographers with heavy emphasis on business skills. From there were 25 years of weddings and commercial work. All while holding down a full time career as a commercial printer for 30+ years. I was able to retire at age 54 with a very nice pension and benefits. Now all of my photography is for my own edification.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Self taught - read and re-read Ansel Adams three books, talked to a lot of people with more experience and then tried things by myself. But I had a mentor when I started out, Tom M Braastad, and I am forever grateful for his help and advice. I just wish I had started much earlier, at the age of 15 rather than at 25.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    So then click "yes and no"....

The problem with any poll that says yes and no, is that it doesn't really answer the question that the poll is trying to ask.

If I made a poll that asked how many on this site are sexual deviants and the choices were yes definitely, no definitely and "yes and no". It would only tell me that all were either sexual deviants or liars. The problem is the "yes and no" people would skew the vote so I couldn't tell exactly how many liars there were.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK......more valid points raised.....

the "yes and no" would include, workshop, lectures and such, but not full courses at colleges and universities.

This is a badly worded poll....so sue me, English is not even my first language....

Another thing that occurred to me, in retrospect and in clarity of thought is that "taught" is past tense, as in completed, and most of us honestly are still being "taught" or still learning......I am

maybe I should have worded it differently, to make more sense to you all. with options like A: Yes, I did not attend a college/university course,
    B:No I have studied photography at a college.
    C: I have attended workshops and courses but did not study photography fulltime
    D: I am a hipster

ok the last one is a bit of a joke....so lighten up a bit

Maybe the mods should just lock this poll before you really start getting nasty to each other, which happens more and more on APUG I have seen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Self taught in the beginning but later went to a community college.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started out as self-taught. I picked up some technical instruction while at college - I was studying geology at the time and being able to make accurate photographs with microscopes, large format cameras, and in the field on the side of a hill in the pouring rain was considered a valuable skill. I remember some of it 8-)
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    The problem with any poll that says yes and no, is that it doesn't really answer the question that the poll is trying to ask.

If I made a poll that asked how many on this site are sexual deviants and the choices were yes definitely, no definitely and "yes and no". It would only tell me that all were either sexual deviants or liars. The problem is the "yes and no" people would skew the vote so I couldn't tell exactly how many liars there were.
    Exactly my first response. I answered "Yes and no", but I only took one class. Is being told or shown how to do something count as a class?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Self-taught. If taught is what I am. Still learning though... Above all I have a fun time with my cameras!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin