Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,628   Online: 895

View Poll Results: are you self taught or not?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am

59 56.73%
  • No I have had formal training

12 11.54%
  • Yes and no

31 29.81%
  • I don't know what I am doing

2 1.92%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Exactly my first response. I answered "Yes and no", but I only took one class. Is being told or shown how to do something count as a class?
    and that is the correct box you selected. But I see the point you are making.... Was it a one class deal, or did you just take the one class and didn't do the rest?

What option "A" means is NO INSTRUCTION BY A PHYSICAL PERSON, written word, trial and error ON YOUR OWN.

but like I said earlier, we are all still learning,whether we are, formally educated, on your own with books, or somewhere in between (via short courses, workshops, assisting a professional, belonging to a camera club etc.) to claim one is fully learned is a lie (or you are some super genius or something), wouldn't you agree?

I do apologize if I worded it badly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricus.stormfire View Post
    and that is the correct box you selected. But I see the point you are making.... Was it a one class deal, or did you just take the one class and didn't do the rest?
    One one day class
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    One one day class
    Yes that would count as a "workshop" to use a loose term, so "Yes ans No" is correct

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I took a rec program class when I was home from college during the summer years ago but I don't really consider that formal training. Pretty much everything I've learned recently is from the internet (youtube and a lot of help from apug), books and DVD's.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Are you self taught or did you formal training?

I'm a sexual deviant.... Definitely yes.. Hehe

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricus.stormfire View Post
    What option "A" means is NO INSTRUCTION BY A PHYSICAL PERSON, written word, trial and error ON YOUR OWN.
    Most people I think would consider self-directed book-learning to be "self taught". Obviously none of us has rediscovered the whole of photographic history and technology, we had to learn it from someone else.

I would expect the majority "self taught" responses would probably indicate this interpretation - it just means they've been to no classes or workshops.

Self taught is a meaningless term.

The only way to be self taught is to live on another planet with no instruction available from any source, no books, no DVDs, no friends, no mentors, no other photographers work to examine .....nothing.

The minute you receive instruction from any source you are no longer "self taught".

The difference between going to a school for a few years, and doing what I did, is that I controlled the curriculum. I made the decision who to see, who to train with and what instruction I wanted to receive.

I'm not knocking the original posts interest in how the members here learned, but there are many answers to this kind of question. People that attended formal schools still very often have self directed learning after they graduate. People who didn't have formal schooling still can learn a lot more in self directed learning by choosing their own avenues for learning and their own teachers from various workshops. A person "self taught" can still read all the text books that a formal school students learns from. A person can apprentice with a working photographer and learn more that any person in a formal school will learn.
    Last edited by blansky; 12-17-2012 at 10:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think it is counter productive to bicker about the finer meaning of the term "self-taught". I'm pretty sure that we all understand what is meant by "self taught" and that we all have pretty much the same understanding. Give the guy a break...let's not degenerate into a group of grumpy old men engaging in one long, multi-episode pissing contest.
    Last edited by BradS; 12-17-2012 at 11:08 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: remove snide remark about that other pissing contest venue.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    A person can apprentice with a working photographer and learn more that any person in a formal school will learn.
    I don't know you could say "more" - certainly different. What someone who attends Brooks Institute will learn is very different from what someone who attends RISD will learn, and both are different from an apprenticeship, because the apprenticeship will show you how ONE photographer who makes a living from it works, complete with good AND bad habits. Some things you'll get much faster, studying under the working pro, others, maybe not at all, and yet others you'll get non-standard approaches because they're what works for that individual, but you may never know WHY he/she did it that way because they either never thought about it or they don't know how to articulate it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lancekingphoto View Post
    As others have pointed out, I think "self-taught" is a bit of an oxymoron. You can't teach yourself what you don't know
    It's called experimentation. Most of what I know professionally I learned that way. Nobody taught me.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin