Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,209   Posts: 1,531,967   Online: 1164

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: For Men Only

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    since the age of chivalry has been assassinated by women's liberation
    Oh my! I guess I'll put away my shiny armor now. And besides, it was getting a bit dull from being a stay-at-home dad to a set of triplets.

And as far as the real knights in shiny armor -- from what I understand, they were usually mercenaries and castles were designed so that they could not have direct access to the lords' part of the castle as they could not be trusted.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Honestly, shutterflight, you MUST admit that there are MEN out there who think that women should be treated with special deference. I am not talking about the (usual) physical disadvantage in that the men usually are stronger physically. But I am talking about men who think that women are more prone to being mentally hurt, more prone to depression, thus more worthy of being 'protected' by men. I find this nonsense. Some of the strongest examples of strength in the human race have been women who have overcome all obstacles. Some have not and needed men to carry the weight. But what I am driving at here is that inner strength is owned by NO PARTICULAR SEX OR RACE. PERIOD.

And, shutterflight, "I want women to become part of us" is not being sexist on my part because, truthfully, 'us' in this context is a predominantly male circuit of camera shows as well as the apug.org 'population'. I find that predominance to be unnecessarily one-sided. I wish that to change.

Suzanne, in my book you are certainly not in the least subordinate. But I advise you duly: don't fall into the trap of presuming that worthy men (I stress 'worthy') are necessarily putting you down. You should not NEED continuous affirmation to affirm what you intrinsically are, already. And, lots of times, seemingly noble male deference toward women can really be an indirect way of 'saying' that you are inferior. Watch for that. We all need compassion and consideration, both men and women, but not one sex more than the other. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 01-05-2013 at 10:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Since I was bored I opened this thread and read up to 8 pages and gave up. Must be because I am a woman.

I love gadgets, handling cameras , but standing around talking about them is not my cup of tea. I would rather be out shooting.

I have been doing darkroom work for over 65 years and in the old days, that world was very male; but time does change and more and more of my students are woman. With my serious photography students it is about 50/50.

You all need to go out and make images, use that equipment !
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

For Men Only

Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    Since I was bored I opened this thread and read up to 8 pages and gave up. Must be because I am a woman.

I love gadgets, handling cameras , but standing around talking about them is not my cup of tea. I would rather be out shooting.

I have been doing darkroom work for over 65 years and in the old days, that world was very male; but time does change and more and more of my students are woman. With my serious photography students it is about 50/50.

You all need to go out and make images, use that equipment !
    Thank you.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    ...You all need to go out and make images, use that equipment !
    Some breakfast, then I am on my way! Some rain and some wind out there, so I may not get anything, but a walk in the redwoods will be good for me with or without an image to show for it!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    well luckily "they have a way to shut that whole thing down"

but

I digress

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well now, I feel like I came late to the party. So many comments to make (apologies for the rambling nature..still on my first cup of coffee).....!

First of all, I do teach analog photography at a communtiy college. And a class of 17 may have only 3 males.
    To the comment about women not wanted to learn the technical or "hard" stuff--bullsh!t!! My (female) students come in WANTING to learn fstops, shutter speeds, the darkroom processes, etc. They know it is what is going to make them better, but no one has expained it to them properly. And since I am such a kickass teacher the majority are able to grasp those fundamentals and run with it.

I, too, am a female (in case you hadn't figured that one out) who loves gadgets and tools (grew up in a hardware store--tools were playtoys to me, and Dad taught me how to use them properly). But I don't have time to dither away learning about new tools unless they directly pertain to the work currently in the making (mom to 4 kids+teacher at 2 instututions=not enough hours in the day). I am a longtime regular at Apug but don't participate much because densitometer readings, minute differences in chemical formulas, etc do not interest me. And there seems to be a plethora of such threads. If that is your cup of tea, then have at it! What I really look for here are answers to a specific situation I may be encountering and the threads that deal with the MAKING (not taking) of images. Those threads are few and far between, but pure gold IMO.

I don't do camera shows, but I do attend photo shows..... there are easily and equal number of women and men being shown and in attendance. And there is an equal and fascinating exchange of ideas. Perhaps you should hang out at these instead, "my dear"..... I am sure there are a vast number of women who would run circles around you and give you new perspectives to consider.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    35mm
    When true equality has been achieved nobody will note gender, race, gender preference, or any of the other things that we use to divide ourselves into in groups and out groups any more than one would note any passive trait like eye or hair color. The fact that there are discussions like these, however appropriate or in appropriate, indicates to me that homosapiens still have a ways to go.

Shooter
    Large Format
    In the 1910's there were 3500 professional female photographers in the USA; many owned the studios.
    In the 1920's 45% of Camera club participants were female.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

For Men Only

I can't believe this thread, honestly. Who gives a rats ass what gender someone is when they are out making art? I know people of both genders who love tech stuff, just as I know people of both genders who are not.

Lets all get out there and make art and welcome everyone and anyone who is interested in shooting, film especially.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin