Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,434   Online: 1016

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 26789101112

Thread: For Men Only

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    In my experience, women like getting things done, men like thinking about getting things done - hence male dominated forums full of pontificating.
    I agree with you. Somebody else would say that your statement is patronising toward men and shows a misandric attitude.

I would say that yours is an opinion and, as such, perfectly able to live in a forum (misandric or not). I see a lot of misandry in this forum and even in this thread, but I consider it a natural and legitimate way of expressing one's thought. I don't weight others' opinions on a moral or socially-acceptable scale. This is what pisses me off, the continuous fingerpointing of supposed-to-be unacceptable attitudes or opinions.

Furthermore, I agree with your quotation above word by word.
    I did note, in my experience, that men tend to have a much more abstract and theoretical approach to things, while woman tend to do things more in a "hands-down" fashion.

Man, even when playing football, tend to be very interested in the different behaviour of different balls. Woman would tend not to give a pence, unless, that is, they are attending a course on football manufacturing.

I see a difference in men and woman mentality regarding a lot of things. I don't know up to which extent this difference is due to nature or nurture, but I see a difference. Raising a thread over this, as David did, is not patronising, or sexist, or misogynist, is just exchange of thoughts.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Reading some of the comments about how females are steered away from the technical side of things as youngsters makes me feel as though I must have had a rather odd upbringing. The massive advantage to growing up dirt poor is that you make your own fun.... and making a race track in a barren garden bed for one's matchbox cars, climbing trees and building cubbyhouses out of old fence palings and whatever was lying around was a far more enjoyable (and cheap) form of entertainment than trying to scrounge up money to get a complete tea set for a doll with a missing head! I can't say I ever felt pressured to be "girly". Everything was MacGuyvered when I was a child - from toys to necessities - which means all very hands on and dirty. I like to know both the how and the why of everything so photography is a good fit for me in that respect.

I joined this forum because I LOVE reading about how others overcome obstacles - whether it be setting up lighting scrounged up from common household objects to getting the best print from very old papers (all I have ready access to and all I can really afford.) I can't think of a single time when I've looked at WHO was posting the information and either raised or lowered my estimation of its validity based on the gender of the poster. Quite simply, I'm just grateful that there are so many people here who are so incredibly generous with their time, knowledge and personal experience. THAT is the draw card to APUG for me - the wealth of living knowledge. I've read every book I can get my hands on when I have a question, a concern or a mere curiosity.... but reading books doesn't allow someone to say, "But what if...?" and receive a response. To me this forum is the joy of an interactive library....walking, talking tomes of information who happily open their covers, share their stories and will cheerfully tack an appendix or two to the end of the story if something is still a little unclear.

It's a blessing.... so thank you to ALL of you for being so generous with your time. As has been noted by quite a few people in this thread, everyone's time is precious and prioritised accordingly so it truly is a gift when people choose to spend it here sharing with everyone else.

Thank you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some of you guys are driving me away with your crazy bigotted sexist attitudes... and I'm a guy. No wonder the women are scarce on this forum!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
    And now on to gun shows-I've never been to one myself but can't help wondering if they're full of men.
    The majority of venders and buyers at the annual local gun show are men. However, a fair proportion of my female friends in farming country consider a gun as just one of many tools to be competently used when necessary rather than as a symbol for something that Freud might have elaborated on.

For concrete information on the gender of actively creative people, I maintain the mail list for both a visual artist's group and a writer's group. About 10% on the lists and who actively participate in events are men. In a list of 33 area writers who have actually published books, 15 were men. Some of these books involved military combat, which skews the statistics. I sell photographs at an annual arts & crafts fair, and most of my customers are women.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since no one is exposed to the entire population, I would imagine opinions expressed in this thread are based on the group of people he or she associates with currently or in the past. All I can say is, group of women I work with and have known are mostly highly logical and very well educated. In fact, when I had to ask a mathematical (calculus level) question, the first person I called was a woman. Just recently, I had a lengthy conversation about "pointers to pointers" in C (if you know IT, you know it's a confusing subject) with my colleague who is a woman.

Some of the opinions expressed in this thread are very toxic - not because the opinions contained in it but the way it is expressed is rude and condescending. I hope they don't talk like this in person. I would also like to mention, being PC (politically correct) and being considerate (or just maintaining decorum) when speaking is not the same thing.

This is probably the saddest thread I've seen in APUG for quite a while. With that, I'm out of this thread. Thanks.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    In fact, when I had to ask a mathematical (calculus level) question, the first person I called was a woman. Just recently, I had a lengthy conversation about "pointers to pointers" in C (if you know IT, you know it's a confusing subject) with my colleague who is a woman.
    ... but probably because they know their stuff, not because of their gender.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Dungeons and Dragons is great, they are no women for me.
    As long as it the board game.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 26789101112

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin