Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,646   Online: 854

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: For Men Only

Shooter
    35mm
    Again, I wonder why?

Apparently, on the East Coast this is not the case. Kentucky and Colorado just might have different mindsets. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most women I know (myself included) are tactile in nature who like to create and work with their hands.

While not quite a gear head, I'm certainly OCD when it comes to my art and require learning all I can about all areas. I also have a mild shopping problem...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Again, I wonder why?

Apparently, on the East Coast this is not the case. Kentucky and Colorado just might have different mindsets. - David Lyga
    What evidence do you have to back this up? I would say the posts so far speak on a global basis.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a photo store by me that has been there for over 60 years on the southside of Chicago and is run by 2 women..
    Last edited by Jim17x; 01-04-2013 at 05:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    women are smart.

duh.

they do have one weakness -- they tolerate us.

more seriously, i suspect you need to ask a sociologist, but it is probably related to the same cause of all the customers at Sears tool department being men.
    No, they just think that they are smarter. However women who enjoy photography are more into composition than the hardware.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have lived in the NorthEast (CT, NYC, BOSTON, PHiLA) for all my life. I have been going to camera shows since the early 80s. I have been going to camera stores since 1964. This is what I have experienced in that time. Interesting (and happily enlightening) to find differently. Smarter or not smarter than us? I think that women have an equal mental capacity but, at least culturally and maybe genetically, they do think differently for the most part. This can be both good and bad but, essentially, 'good' in that there is a social need to round things out in life. I do not want a world run exclusively by either men or women.

But, again, have I been blind, willfully biased, unknowingly 'ingoring' women? I think not. That is my answer to 'how do I back this up', cliveh. - David Lyga

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It was the same when I taught in Miami, FL, as well. I also attend the regional and national conferences for SPE, the Society for Photographic Education. All of these have a 3 to 1 ratio in my experience.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    It was the same when I taught in Miami, FL, as well. I also attend the regional and national conferences for SPE, the Society for Photographic Education. All of these have a 3 to 1 ratio in my experience.
    3 to 1 ratio of what?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    I have lived in the NorthEast (CT, NYC, BOSTON, PHiLA) for all my life. I have been going to camera shows since the early 80s. I have been going to camera stores since 1964. This is what I have experienced in that time. Interesting (and happily enlightening) to find differently.

Have I been blind, willfully biased, unknowingly 'ingoring' women? I think not. That is my answer to 'how do I back this up', cliveh. - David Lyga
    No, you are not blind, but we are talking about now, not then.

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Then, as now. I attend the Fort Washington, PA camera show three times a year and it is the SAME. I do not choose it to be that way but that is what it is.

And not only at the shows. Le'ts face it: on this board and on photo.net it is the same thing. Sure there are women but I'll bet there are more than ten men for every female on these boards. - David Lyga

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin