Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,948   Online: 793

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: For Men Only

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently took an advanced film photography class at a local community college. This was in 2012. I'd say 70% of students in the class were females. They were all getting "dirty" in darkroom elbow deep in wash waters. There were two classes offered at this level. One of the instructor was a male, the other was a female.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    About half the people actively working in the Photoworks dark room are women. All the people running it are women. http://www.glenechophotoworks.org/
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Historically women have taken more pictures than men (see below quote), and I would hazard a guess that it still continues. I do know that at almost all the family parties I show up to that "Aunt Mildred" or "Aunt Bernice" tries to round us all up for a photograph and rarely is there "Uncle Bernie" or "Uncle Earl" with the camera...

Below per WSJ. An article about Kodak....

As a result of Kodak’s efforts [to market to the “Kodak girl”, who symbolized the modern, adventurous female], women went on to become the most lucrative market segment for photography. It was that loyal contingent of “soccer moms” that funded Kodak’s inexorable rise: they took more pictures than everyone else, printed them, shared them at coffee mornings, saved them in albums and displayed them in the living room.
    http://blogs.wsj.com/source/2012/02/...-five-reasons/
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i apprenticed with a woman portrait photographer who herself was trained in the 20s/30s ..
    at the time that was not the norm but i think nowadays woman photographer outnumber the men
    by at least 2x if not 3x...
    gear conventions, websites *c that is just a guy thing, the women are doing everything else.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    And yet all but 2 or 3 comments on this thread are from men.David's original question hasn't been fully answered.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Allan, women are very much into photography, see my above proof, the diversity of Apug does not prove anything. How one spends his/her time on the Internet is little proof of the gender make up of photography. I don't remember David's question being medium specific...
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Allan, women are very much into photography, see my above proof, the diversity of Apug does not prove anything. How one spends his/her time on the Internet is little proof of the gender make up of photography. I don't remember David's question being medium specific...
    + 1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the darkroom where I was I survived about 60-70 students. Less than 15 were male. I think a lot of the men embrassed digital quicker being gear-heads. I do think it is that photographing film is well a bit more romantic. I also tend to agree that they tend to be rather artistic. I also found they got a bit how should I say nervous when it got technical but in general men and women were very eager to learn which was refreshing. Most have a sparkle in their eyes.
    They are doing it because they want to and not because they have to. With digital it may sometimes be a bit different.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Most female photographers I know are not gear-heads, and don't worry about different films, cameras, and lenses and such. Most of them are almost entirely focused on the pictures themselves, and simply just DO.
    I admire that a lot and wish I could dial back my own approach to that level of 'matter of fact' photography.

Agreed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In my photo program, a strong majority of students are female and have been for many years now. As mentioned above, I think most women aren't gearheads and don't care all that much about or for equipment. Instead, making pictures is the person/student's primary focus. I've often been the only male in the room, surrounded by several female students. In my Portraiture class, I was one of just three male students, with the rest being female (about 13 women and three men).

I'm unaware of any female students that I know of that have mentioned forums like this one. I think part of their absence is due to not knowing about places like this, and also partly just from a lack of interest.

Photography can be very technical, especially when you get past the "pretty flowers and dogs" stage, when you start mixing in ligh theory, chemical theory, zone system and (dare I say) technical gadgets, women are put off.
    This is total nonsense. Some of the best silver printers I know are women, and virtually all the good C-Printers I know are women. The first photo BFA show of this past semester at my school was entirely made up of women, and there was some terrific work in there.
    Last edited by shutterlight; 01-04-2013 at 09:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin