Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,698   Online: 805

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: For Men Only

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Most female photographers I know are not gear-heads, and don't worry about different films, cameras, and lenses and such. Most of them are almost entirely focused on the pictures themselves, and simply just DO.
    I admire that a lot and wish I could dial back my own approach to that level of 'matter of fact' photography.
    You have no idea how much I wish I could do that. Seriously, being a gearhead is an albatross around the neck most of the time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    You have no idea how much I wish I could do that. Seriously, being a gearhead is an albatross around the neck most of the time.
    You just take pictures with what you have .

Most of the best work I've seen has been done with equipment that was available many years ago.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by henry finley View Post
    Because all the women are at home cooking dinner and doing housework.
    I really sincerely hope this was said with a heavy sense of irony and sarcasm.

If not, this is one reason why you don't see nearly as many women here as there ought to be - it's very much a guys club atmosphere, which is also the case with the camera swap meets and stores. If it were the 1960s, I'd expect to walk into a lot of camera stores to find swirling cigar smoke slightly obscuring the Playboy centerfold on the counter in the middle of a cluster of guys. I can remember when I was working at the camera store in the 1990s we had a customer come in and start showing some of his handiwork to the salesmen. Perhaps the best way to describe his photography would be to say it was gynecological, but without the scientific interest. The salesmen were nonchalant about it and a few of the older ones were positively interested. With that kind of behavior, it's not a surprise you don't see many women in the average camera store. Go to B&H, though, and there are not only plenty of women customers, but they even have a fair number of women salespeople.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Because all the women are at home cooking dinner and doing housework.
    Hmmm...I've just read through this (annoying) thread (including the above idiotic comment), and I marvel that all the guys here are scratching their heads wondering why more women don't participate in photography forums. Plenty of women participate in photography with depth and commitment, many skip the inane forums.
    Last edited by SuzanneR; 01-04-2013 at 09:01 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    Hmmm...I've just read through this (annoying) thread (including the above idiotic comment), and I marvel that all the guys here are scratching their heads wondering why more women don't participate in photography forums. Plenty of women participate in photography with depth and commitment, many skip the inane forums.
    Quite so, and I'm fortunate to have benefitted from their real world presence.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    +1

I've been on APUG for some time now, and I joined specifically because I needed to know more about the technical side of things, especially in the darkroom. I also like to collect cameras, having more than 25 already, covering multiple formats. I don't think of this site (or any other photo site) as being an old boys club until threads like this get started, or when men start to bicker and fight online. As others have mentioned, I've taken part in many photo classes and workshops, and with the exception of one, they've all been mostly women participating (or teaching). What happens online is not a reflection of what happens in the real world.

Also, I think it's important not to let your "impressions" become facts. The gender ratio on APUG is not 95% male. I'm sure Sean could provide the real stats, but this thread has generally shown a 80/20 split over the years. That being said, I know that in the past there seemed to be more women participating in the forums, and it seems less now. And if you'll permit me a generalization -- a lot of women work, take care of the kids, their parents, housework, etc. (more than most men) -- if they do have time to pursue their hobbies, they're actually doing it and not sitting in front of a computer talking about it. I can because I am single and I don't have to worry about anyone other than myself, which gives me time to spend online and in other places.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Relax with the militant political correctness. It was just a joke. I pictured June Cleaver in a camera or ham operators store. Oh, I see you're from Massachusetts. Jeez.
    Oh, that was a joke??? Very funny....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    In the darkroom classes I took at the Danforth Museum School in Framingham, MA in the late 90s/early '00s, the women outnumbered the men in every class (I think I took about 10-12 sessions). In a couple of sessions, the only male was the instructor. In some, there were no males. In a class I took at RISD (also darkroom), there was one guy and 4 women, taught by a woman.

I can't say I'm completely not into gear, but the end result of the photo is not as dependent on the nitty gritty details of the film/developer combo to me. I see a large number of posts on every photo forum discussing little tiny differences between images that the VAST majority of observers would never notice or care about. I sorta see these things as the "guy" things of photography (I'll admit, I could be wrong).

I'll give some credit if English isn't the first language of the poster, but this sounds EXTREMELY condescending to me. Yeah, I do like technical stuff and I know women are not usually encouraged to do so and to enjoy science, but it has much more of a cultural basis than anything related to true intelligence or the ability to do any of these things.

BS biology, MS forensic science, 14 years in a casework crime lab (7 in charge of the trace analysis unit) - I am a woman and I like science. I also scored perfect on the GRE logic section.
    Well, you are hardly representing all women are you?

I wasn't trying to be condescending, I was pointing out that the interest in logical and technical aspects DID NOT have anything to do with intelligence, how on earth can that be condescending??

I know loads of young women, in all ages, that started/starts out "shooting" but gives up the whole thing when they need to learn how to use a flash and balance it to ambient light, using theoretical principles we all use, like shutter-speed, aperture, ISO and light metering.

They give up, or they shoot "only using natural light", which is chickening out in my book.
    I've held courses for 40-50 year old professional female photographers who didn't even know how to use a flash, some bought one for the course, professionals.

Sure, there are lots of female professional photographers who know everything there is to know about photography, great!
    I'm saying that a lot of women give it up when it's time to actually focus and learn the gadgets and theory.

Women working in photo-related jobs, like running studios, running a store etc are also not photographers, now are they, they are basically store clerks and managers who deals with totally different areas.

Women are (and please read this) IMO just as capable as men in the technical areas, but they have rarely that interest, their interest (my experience) lies in the creative aspect and they are put off by the logical and theoretical aspects of photography.
    Last edited by Helinophoto; 01-04-2013 at 09:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Surprise: A lot of of men give up on learning more when faced with various aspects of photography.

Also, it is not "chickening out" to choose to use only natural light. I use only natural light for the vast majority of my images, and I choose to use it because it creates a look that I want for my photographs. Flash has its place, and more so than in the past, but it's still unusual for me to use it. I have friends who use flash a lot and it suits their work well.

Everything you said applies as much to men as it does to women. That you are unaware of your own condescension is both unsurprising and revealing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    Well, you are hardly representing all women are you?

Women are (and please read this) IMO just as capable as men in the technical areas, but they have rarely that interest, their interest (my experience) lies in the creative aspect and they are put off by the logical and theoretical aspects of photography.
    Men too. Because you cannot claim that ALL men who claim to be photographers are interested in the technical or theoretical aspects of photography either -- I'm sure the majority of amateur photographers out there, regardless of gender, focus on the "taking pictures" part (along with (online) sharing and possibly (digital) printing), but not any other aspect of the process.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin