Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,447   Online: 986

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: For Men Only

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Using natural light is chickening out? What kind of light did that big chicken HCB use, or Winnogrand or Helen Levitt?

You all need to brush up on the history of the medium, here's a 416 page book that doesn't even cover it all, but it's a great reference.
    http://www.amazon.com/History-Women-...in+photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
    And yet all but 2 or 3 comments on this thread are from men.David's original question hasn't been fully answered.
    Could this have something to do with the title of the thread?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    Using natural light is chickening out? What kind of light did that big chicken HCB use, or Winnogrand or Helen Levitt?

You all need to brush up on the history of the medium, here's a 416 page book that doesn't even cover it all, but it's a great reference.
    http://www.amazon.com/History-Women-...in+photography
    Better get word to Sally Mann as well. She'll be interested in hearing that she chickened out while creating the work for Immediate Family.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, go ahead and call it what you want over there.

Over here we call it "debating the subject".

Use your grey matter, I'm talking about education.
    What kind of photography school would NOT teach these subjects?

Arts and crafts, where everyone sits in a ring and do a sing-a-long?
    Hardly a school that would teach you how to work as a photographer.

So, if "just as many men as women" give up, why are there more men working as photographers?
    Explain that, without stepping over some political correctness border people try to apply to just about everything these days.

Last place in a race? You are the last winner.
    Women and men are different? You are condescending towards women.
    Most suicide bombers come from the middle east? You are a racist.

etc etc....no wonder there is war in this world.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post

So, if "just as many men as women" give up, why are there more men working as photographers?
    Explain that, without stepping over some political correctness border people try to apply to just about everything these days.

I'm not sure that's true... do you have a source for that statistic?
    Last edited by SuzanneR; 01-04-2013 at 09:40 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Clarity

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, go ahead and call it what you want over there.

Over here we call it "debating the subject".

Use your grey matter, I'm talking about education.
    What kind of photography school would NOT teach these subjects?

Arts and crafts, where everyone sits in a ring and do a sing-a-long?
    Hardly a school that would teach you how to work as a photographer.

Last place in a race? You are the last winner.
    Women and men are different? You are condescending towards women.
    Most suicide bombers come from the middle east? You are a racist.

etc etc....no wonder there is war in this world.
    There's no class on lighting or just about anything you mentioned in my photo program. If there's a class that touches on it, it's probably View Camera. Most instruction we get is based on the work we do and various approaches and ways to understand photography.

When people mention "political correctness," what they're really saying is that they want to be sexist or otherwise socially inappropriate, but know that they cannot because they'll be called out for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseontheloose View Post
    Men too. Because you cannot claim that ALL men who claim to be photographers are interested in the technical or theoretical aspects of photography either -- I'm sure the majority of amateur photographers out there, regardless of gender, focus on the "taking pictures" part (along with (online) sharing and possibly (digital) printing), but not any other aspect of the process.
    You can, based on research, say that men have a larger interest in technical aspects, gadges, cars, football, whatever than women.

Political incorrect?

I care....
    -

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can, based on research, say that men have a larger interest in technical aspects, gadges, cars, football, whatever than women.

Political incorrect?

I care....
    You must care, because this is the third or fourth time you've used that term.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterlight View Post
    There's no class on lighting or just about anything you mentioned in my photo program. If there's a class that touches on it, it's probably View Camera. Most instruction we get is based on the work we do and various approaches and ways to understand photography.

When people mention "political correctness," what they're really saying is that they want to be sexist or otherwise socially inappropriate, but know that they cannot because they'll be called out for it.
    No, I'm putting it out there, because these days, you cannot voice your opinion without offending someone, I'm actually surprised no one has put fourth a lawsuit against me at this point.

Anyway, sounds like art school to me.

Every school I've researched that claim to have a real photography program, have covered light use, studio, ambience etc.
    If the school is any good, is should also cover stuff like Business economy, branding, how to run as a business, creating contacts, contracts and legal aspects etc.

Being a working photographer is 20% shooting and 80% trying to survive as a business.
    -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    I'm not sure that's true... do you have a source for that statistic?
    It was a response to shutterlight, who claimed it to be so.
    -

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin