Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,415   Online: 1161

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: For Men Only

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    How many of those students stayed involved in photography after graduating or leaving school? As I mentioned, exactly ONE of the women in my college photo classes stuck with it after graduating. ONE. Out of 14 or 15. Out of the 10 men in the program, 6 are still doing photography. Four of us are fulltime pros. So is the one woman.

Women are absolutely capable of mastering the technical aspects of it. My former classmate did, and she is a very creative artist whose work I love. I respect her as a person and an artist. There are several women here on APUG and on the Leica users group and Rangefinderforum (other places I talk photography online) who also create magnificent work and have mastered the technical stuff too. Still, based on what I have seen, I think most women do not have the desire to do so or the drive to succeed as professionals. If that upsets women, they alone have the power to change it. Shooting the messenger might make you feel good, but it changes nothing.
    I'm not interested in shooting the messenger, but I think the message is flawed. You're making some sweeping generalizations about women based on rather narrow anecdotal evidence, I'd say. So, I'll offer my own anecdotal evidence, and broad sweeping conclusion: I can't speak to my classmates from art school as I've lost touch with many of them, but if my experience as a photography editor at a national news magazine in the 90's is any guide, there were more men on staff, but an equal number of women working freelance. I hired, I'd say, about half the freelance assignments to women and about half to men. I expected professional and consistent results, and never found the women photographers I worked with to be less driven or ambitious than the men. And there are a lot of women photographers working today. Further, I think the reason more men had those coveted staff positions had a lot to do with the kind of institutional misogyny that pervades so many companies (and online forums) displayed here. I mean, look at this thread, we've had bad jokes, and people demeaning the type of photography that many women choose to do as being some kind of "chickening" out. These attitudes pervade almost every aspect in the field of photography.

In the years since I was working at a magazine, things have become harder for anyone (men and women) to make a living at photography. I don't think it's a lack of drive or discipline, but the economics of the marketplace being flooded with photographs, and I'm sure there are still many editors and curators whose dim (though misguided) views of women make it harder for women to succeed in this field. And of course, we all have our own personal choices to make regarding our responsibilities with our families... I'd think just as many men would give up the stress of the freelance life for a steady paycheck when he's responsible for a couple of kids... it's not an easy road for a photographer to support a family, and that's not just a problem for women.

and to the OP, I'd suggest he start going to photography shows as opposed to camera shows, then he'll see a lot of women who are actively engaged in the field of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Each camera show I have ever attended [...]

Why?
    observer bias?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    3 to 1 ratio of what?
    Three women for every one man enrolled.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    35mm
    My general experience and sensation is very much aligned with what Helinophoto says. That is naturally based on personal experience and general, broad sensations. It's all too natural none of us have any scientific studies regarding the difference between men and woman in approaching things.

I'm very sorry to see that a very normal and legitimate opinion is taken as a pretext for the old same accusation of sexism. We'll end up we will not be able to say we don't like Chinese restaurants to avoid being politically incorrect toward the Chinese

I think, and again it is my sensation and my generalization, that really men have a more algorithmic, logic and punctual attitude toward things in normal day life matters (that exclude professional matters, of course).

What David says is, I think, perfectly adherent to my experience because it involves a hobby, not-professional attitude toward photography. Male non-professional photographers tend to obsess with gear much more than females, and in general much more than necessary.

When one starts talking about professional activity, behaviour between men and woman tends toward uniformity*. And that implies that professional woman will care more than non-professional woman about the technical aspect, the gear etc. and professional men will tend to obsess less about gear than non-professional men. In business you have to know the gear and you don't have to obsess about it either. Business is where male mentality and woman mentality meet half way.

That said, I don't have any scientific evidence for this, I don't consider what I wrote above "sexist", and I don't care if anybody considers it "sexist", either.

* That applies to school courses as well, if and when there is a professional interest. If a photography course is chosen just because it's an easy way to get "points" and avoid more difficult subjects, then we have a different situation.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    <snip>
    and people demeaning the type of photography that many women choose to do as being some kind of "chickening" out. These attitudes pervade almost every aspect in the field of photography.
    You are totally missing the point I was making.
    If you pass on something because it is hard, even if you are able to do it, it's chickening out (or even lazy).
    It goes for both sexes, just for clarifying that. (this thread was concerning women, sorry if I don't have a disclaimer before every statement)
    - I've NEVER once hinted that using natural light for photography is anything less than using flash-based light, where do you guys come up with these claims?

I use it all the time myself, jeez....

"Misogynistic", "demeaning to women", what the...

Whatever, I'm done with this thread, you're not even reading the text, you are reading between the lines (surprise, there isn't anything there).
    Last edited by Helinophoto; 01-05-2013 at 09:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by whowantstoast View Post
    Both of our local photo stores are staffed by an equal number of men and women, and partially owned by women. I also meet a lot of photographers in the field, and I would give women the edge there. On other photo sites my contacts are about 50/50, with the women being far more productive. I don't think they're less into gear, I think they may be less into talking about it. Honestly, I think we tend to assume that we dominate photography and we act like it, and so the places we congregate, and the way we talk about it, can be off-putting to women. I think what I'm saying is that this question is more about us than them.
    Yup.

And, I'm in awe of how Bethe and Suzanne have been able to respond to "Chriscrawfordphoto" and "Helinophoto". I tried, but just managed to sputter.

d
    retired scientist, and photographer for 30-plus years
    Last edited by dwross; 01-05-2013 at 09:47 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: corrected sputter-induced typo
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    - I've NEVER once hinted that using natural light for photography is anything less than using flash-based light, where do you guys come up with these claims?
    Really?:

They give up, or they shoot "only using natural light", which is chickening out in my book.
    Sounds pretty straightforward to me.

You're just upset that you've been called out on your nonsense, which is usually the case when that happens to people.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    Women are (and please read this) IMO just as capable as men in the technical areas, but they have rarely that interest, their interest (my experience) lies in the creative aspect and they are put off by the logical and theoretical aspects of photography.
    and it is unfortunate that most of the men who i know who are either working photographers, or forum frequenters
    are only for the most part interested in gear and the technical aspects of photography. instead of making interesting photographs
    about anything at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterlight View Post
    Really?:

Sounds pretty straightforward to me.

You're just upset that you've been called out on your nonsense, which is usually the case when that happens to people.
    No, I was pointing out if one use it as an excuse, to avoid learning theory and techniques, because it may seem hard or not that intersting.
    -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    and it is unfortunate that most of the men who i know who are either working photographers, or forum frequenters
    are only for the most part interested in gear and the technical aspects of photography. instead of making interesting photographs
    about anything at all.
    I don't disagree with that (and I am sure I fit right in there as well) ^^
    -

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin