Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,235   Online: 1064

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: For Men Only

Shooter
    35mm

For Men Only

Each camera show I have ever attended had about 95% of its attendees and dealers to be of the male sex.

Each camera store I have ever visited was run almost exclusively by males.

95% of the people on both apug.org and photo.net are males.

Why? Are we either missing something or are we somehow interested in an exclusively male endeavor, the subliminal attributes of which are not easily understandable or readily defined? -- David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    women are smart.

duh.

they do have one weakness -- they tolerate us.

more seriously, i suspect you need to ask a sociologist, but it is probably related to the same cause of all the customers at Sears tool department being men.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most female photographers I know are not gear-heads, and don't worry about different films, cameras, and lenses and such. Most of them are almost entirely focused on the pictures themselves, and simply just DO.
    I admire that a lot and wish I could dial back my own approach to that level of 'matter of fact' photography.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    summicron1: I know that cameras are 'tools'. Thus, the men, whether at Sears or at camera shows. But it is also art. And, yes, Thomas, women do not like gadgets as much as we men do. In fact, it's amazing how they distance themselves from anything concerned with 'hands on' and 'tactile'. Let's face it: don't we love to 'fire' the shutter without film?

Answering the thread's inferred question which I posed is rather easy to do because it is so natural for us men. However, I am glad that I asked it because, although 'known' to us, it is rarely questioned or even thought about. Looked upon entirely ojectively, it is a very relevant question and points to fundamental differences between overall outlooks and value determinants between men and women. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 01-04-2013 at 03:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I find that at least 40% of the people I work with are women, I think the gear head thing is part of the reason some do not see this.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thomas is correct, as they are not into gear as much as men. When I started teaching photography, my classes were predominately male. For about the last 14 years they have been predominately female. I have also noticed that many are very artistic and gifted in producing photographic imagery and development of ideas. I am not suggesting a female/male gender bias, but would say they are about equal.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    FWIW...There are as many, if not more, females in our university darkroom photo classes than males.

But I do not think it is because of my good looks and magnetic personality.

Old joke:

Good News: Coeds really dig older professors.

Bad News: They think 25 years old is 'older'.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Very interesting, Vaughn. Show them this post and pose the question to them. You just might get a rather enlightening answer. Let them know that they, specifically that class, is somewhat of an anomaly.

Is it the 'trendiness' or is it the immersion into the physical? - David Lyga

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    My experience is the same as Vaughn's. Women outweigh the men in my classes 3 to 1 in enrollment.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Our local (and only) photo store is staffed 50/50, as was the one before that closed down.

I don't think our female to male participation in photo classes in an anomily. Even our photo teaching staff has been 50/50 for over 35 years.

PS -- I'll have a show of my carbon prints and platinum prints at the University of the Arts, Feb 15 to March 15, if you are in the area. Don't know if I will be able to be there for the opening...being on the left coast and all.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin