Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,475   Posts: 1,570,986   Online: 838

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    It would be great for all the wanabee Bressons, Adamses, Atgets, Salgardos, etc. Those people who have no personal vision.
    Are there really Bresson, Adams and Atget wannabes in 2013? I'm pretty sure most people don't look at photography pre-Cindy Sherman.

You'd have to update the photographers for the technowiz demographic who would buy such a thing - if it were possible. With the photographers mentioned, you're unwittingly aiming at the 50+ crowd, when you should be thinking 18-30.

Will it have a detachable, wireless, 3" LED LCD, on which you can also watch movies? £30 a month internet access to Facebook? Do I get discount at Subway every 10,000 frames?
    Last edited by batwister; 01-22-2013 at 02:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Images
    Slap the Holga brand name on it and the lemmings will flock to your doorstep.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Are there really Bresson, Adams and Atget wannabes in 2013? I'm pretty sure most people don't look at photography pre-Cindy Sherman.
    To paraphrase the countess in Downton Abbey, "What's a Cindy Sherman?".
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 01-23-2013 at 12:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

You'd have to update the photographers for the technowiz demographic who would buy such a thing - if it were possible. With the photographers mentioned, you're unwittingly aiming at the 50+ crowd, when you should be thinking 18-30.

Will it have a detachable, wireless, 3" LED LCD, on which you can also watch movies? £30 a month internet access to Facebook? Do I get discount at Subway every 10,000 frames?
    I don't regard photography or art as fashion, in the same way I would not disregard Leonardo da Vinci because he is dead.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Camera to replicate the Great Photographers

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I don't regard photography or art as fashion, in the same way I would not disregard Leonardo da Vinci because he is dead.
    But you have to concede that both photography and art as a whole HAVE fashions.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PanaDP View Post
    But you have to concede that both photography and art as a whole HAVE fashions.
    Of course. But just as in literature there are classics.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The great artists of the medium? Yes, but you misunderstand when you talk about fashion. Their concerns are bound to another age. You risk alienating 99.9% of the theoretical market, who just won't be able to associate.

Reading between the lines, I think what you really want to build is a photography time machine. Have you seen Midnight in Paris, cliveh? If that film was about photography, rather than writing, you would be the lead character!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The great artists of the medium? Yes, but you misunderstand when you talk about fashion. Their concerns are bound to another age. You risk alienating 99.9% of the theoretical market, who just won't be able to associate.

Reading between the lines, I think what you really want to build is a photography time machine. Have you seen Midnight in Paris, cliveh? If that film was about photography, rather than writing, you would be the lead character!
    I think I get your drift, as marketing is not my thing. And no, I have not seen Midnight in Paris. Do you think I would like it?

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I think I get your drift, as marketing is not my thing. And no, I have not seen Midnight in Paris. Do you think I would like it?
    It's great, yeah. About both the value and problems of nostalgia.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin