Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,252   Online: 864

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Camera to replicate the Great Photographers

If I marketed a camera with a dial on the top that read HCB, AA, ATGET, Salgardo, Etc., with these settings corresponding to different aperture/shutter settings, would the general public really believe this and would it sell? Not that I would ever dream of doing this.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I went on a workshop in the late 1980's an Anglo-American photographer had clearly used one of these cameras, a great Portfoloio in homage to the masters with Zero of his own personality No name but he was an heir to a company who made almost all the rare optical glass used in lenses, never needed to work

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    If I marketed a camera with a dial on the top that read HCB, AA, ATGET, Salgardo, Etc., with these settings corresponding to different aperture/shutter settings, would the general public really believe this and would it sell? Not that I would ever dream of doing this.
    if you want to sell such a camera you have to make a digital one and not a film camera and also it may help to run the android OS too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'll buy one if you put a Weegee setting on it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It would be possible to make an attempt towards this with a digital camera. By seeking the typical look of specific photographers. This would be done by altering the exposure, color palette, tonal reproduction, MTF etc. It would be even more fun if there were three accessories to accompany each dial setting:

Weegee: crumpled hat, well-chewed cigar and a flask

Ansel Adams: Big hat, big smile and a bolo tie.

You get the idea. Continue the list if you wish.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Would the public know who HCB, AA, Atget, Salgado, and others, were or are?

IIRC, at least one of the current Fuji digital cameras has a mode where different film responses can be set.

But the thing is, it's the subjects that made these photographers memorable! Setting the camera to Ansel Adams and then photographing a trash dump is not going to result in Yosemite. And setting the camera to Salgado and photographing lunch is not going to result in Workers.

It isn't about the camera. It isn't about the settings used on the camera. It's about glimpses into real life.

If people believe that the Picasso or Rembrandt paint brushes produce paintings like their namesakes, then sure, they'd believe it. And then you'd get sued for false advertising.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    But the thing is, it's the subjects that made these photographers memorable! Setting the camera to Ansel Adams and then photographing a trash dump is not going to result in Yosemite. And setting the camera to Salgado and photographing lunch is not going to result in Workers.
    Maybe the camera should transport you to Yosemite, when set to AA... beam you to Paris when set to Atget... That camera I'd buy!

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So what if you loaded the camera's memory with a licensed selection of the famous photographer's famous photos? It could select an appropriate match for you after analyzing what's in front of the lens when you push the button. Kodak's old "You push the button and we do the rest" motto taken literally!

Mike

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Not camera but software have been developed at MIT with even its softare code is free. You give your photo and the AA photo to software , it analysis the spatial distribution of noise on the AA picture and than find a function and make it work on your poor photo. Its like van gogh style from your picture idea. Other tool is to use histogram matching.
    This idea is lowering the photography in to color match and noise match. I dont know what would do to soft edges

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would be great for all the wanabee Bressons, Adamses, Atgets, Salgardos, etc. Those people who have no personal vision. But if one looks at great artists they all eventually find their own unique expression. They do not imitate. I think this tells us something.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 01-21-2013 at 10:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin