Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,605   Online: 1237

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quantum camera

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Quantum camera

If I construct a camera with 2 slits in the focal plane curtain and call it the quantum camera. Will the picture I produce with film in the camera be different to the image projected on the focal plane without any film in the camera?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Without film the image could be either a full image one strip or two stripes.
    Depending of the setting/construction of that shutter.

But as we are in the philosophical section, I'm sure I missed the point as usual. Slow on the uptake...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    it will be the same image even if it is an imagined camera and does not exist.

i sometimes forget to put film in a camera, i go out expose it, and process it.
    it ends up being the same image on the non existent film that i thought i had.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    it will be the same image even if it is an imagined camera and does not exist.

i sometimes forget to put film in a camera, i go out expose it, and process it.
    it ends up being the same image on the non existent film that i thought i had.
    This might be the best answer I've seen on this forum,you just made my day John!

dmb

Shooter
    35mm
    It depends on whether the dead cat gets in the way. =^.^=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, the image will be the same except it will get double the amount of light, assuming width of the slit are the same as the single one.

The quanum double-slit experiment resulting in multiple bands require wave from photons in slot1 interfering with the same from slot2. In focal plain shutter situation, the shutter is so close to the film plane that this interference of two waves will not take place.

Thus the image is the same.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    No, the image will be the same except it will get double the amount of light, assuming width of the slit are the same as the single one.

The quanum double-slit experiment resulting in multiple bands require wave from photons in slot1 interfering with the same from slot2. In focal plain shutter situation, the shutter is so close to the film plane that this interference of two waves will not take place.

Thus the image is the same.
    OK, good point, so for the sake of this experiment lets put the curtain further from the focal plane.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, for the sake of argument, I'm going to enlarge the size of photon to a basket ball size. They'll all get stuck at the slit so there will be no image.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    OK, for the sake of argument, I'm going to enlarge the size of photon to a basket ball size. They'll all get stuck at the slit so there will be no image.
    Now your cheating.

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you set the double slit in such a way a single photon can pass both of them AND interfere with each other, then p+p and p-p will take place at the image plane. That would mean the image will have an alternating strip of doubly exposed area and no exposure what so ever.

BUT... if this is an optical system involving one or more lenses, it may be far more complex than that. I would imagine if the slit is placed in image forming plane (there are multiple of these in a complex lens system) or elsewhere, the result will likely vary.

If it is at an image forming plane, you might actually get a image with only visible part being where two slits are.

You cheated first by amending the original setup!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin