Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,244   Online: 1068

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm always pleasing myself with how well something comes out at first; it's always after the fact that I look back and think "eh, that's dumb/boring/not very good" etc. I haven't yet taken a picture which, in hindsight, I'm more impressed with it than I was when I took it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_k View Post
    I'm always pleasing myself with how well something comes out at first; it's always after the fact that I look back and think "eh, that's dumb/boring/not very good" etc. I haven't yet taken a picture which, in hindsight, I'm more impressed with it than I was when I took it.
    Well Andy, perhaps if you spend less time thinking and reading about the philosophy of imagery and more time looking, you will produce more shots you are impressed with after you take them.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Well Andy, perhaps if you spend less time thinking and reading about the philosophy of imagery and more time looking, you will produce more shots you are impressed with after you take them.
    Snipe if you want, I'm not bothered either by your unexamined creative approach as hobbyist, nor my self-critical eye, evolving sensibilities, and ambition to produce better work.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Snipe if you want, I'm not bothered either by your unexamined creative approach as hobbyist, nor my self-critical eye, evolving sensibilities, and ambition to produce better work.
    Sorry Andy, my intention was not to snipe or cause offense and if you thought I did, I do apologise. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    S'all good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    it was a sheet of adhesive tape peeled off a telephone pole that i drew on
    and enlarged ... and then i was in disbelief that i printed it.
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've found this to be somewhat true. But for me, it depends on how long has passed. In regard to your 'evolving sensibilities' comment - which is a... sensibility I also share - the very fact that my past work is so different, a year or two later, I can appreciate it a little more objectively - that's not to say I think it becomes stronger. It becomes unfamiliar, and for a short period, intriguing - if only in terms of self-reflectance. Regardless, it's important to be progressive and I try not to look back too often.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a 5x7 of the first photograph I ever made. a snowman my dad and I built. I was about 3, the camera a Bessler Topcon Auto 100. The noisiest SLR ever made even though it had a leaf shutter behind the lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This is a sign of a maturing "eye" and sensibilities.
    -- in the end don't be too hard on yourself.

I group photographs I make into 3 catagories.

-personal / life documentation
    -commercial work that pays my bills
    -work "for the ages" -- photographs that may or may not be personal to me that may be of great importance to others in 100 years or more.

They all can overlap a little or have a little of one-another mixed into each. My favorite photos sometime only satisfy one point/// and "true art" "none" of the above.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin