Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,513   Posts: 1,543,588   Online: 1121

View Poll Results: What is THE LIMIT of appropriate subject matter for APUG

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Only Ansel Adams type scenery

5 7.25%
  • Above+ some portraits and kittens are ok

3 4.35%
  • Above+ a FEW scenes of the real world like semi harsh news - occupy wall street / hoarders home

3 4.35%
  • Above+ Implied Nude girls holding flowers & sunlight, light war destroyed structures, no people

1 1.45%
  • Above+ Full Nude but no lower genitals showing and only smiles, sad images of hungry orphans

8 11.59%
  • Above+ Full Nude w/ genitals exposed, Vietnam starving naked children in street, birth w/ crowning

12 17.39%
  • Above+ Full Nude w/ macro shots of vaginas & penises, dead warriors in piles on a battlefield

37 53.62%
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Censorship and judgement on APUG and in the world...

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    See, you keep doing it. You complained about unsatisfactory results, I pointed out how that could have been avoided, but I'm "totally not helpful".
    What are you talking about? I asked if there were grain issues with the film, that really has little to do with testing for exposure and you basically told me to use my entire stock just to test how the film exposed which would leave me with nothing... It WASN'T helpful and had nothing to do with the question I asked...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't see any censorship issue here. No one has reported your images, and the APUG administration hasn't taken any action on them. If you post images in a public space or publish them or show them in a gallery and are criticized for them, that's just how the world is, and if you respond to criticism by withdrawing those images, that's your decision, not censorship.

On APUG, images are rarely removed for content reasons. I can only recall one specific instance involving a still life of Nazi memorabilia, which may have been illegal in some parts of the world where we have a substantial membership, though the image itself wasn't necessarily advocating for or glorifying Nazism in my opinion. In this case we had to weigh the effect of allowing the image against the possibility that it could put APUG on filtration lists that would make it hard for many of our users to access APUG, and also we considered that the image could be upsetting to some users, even though it was a relatively bland still life. We might have to remove images of child nudity for similar reasons, but I don't think we've ever had a case. I suppose that if we considered an image exploitative of the subject or defamatory, we might remove it, but again, it hasn't come up.

We had a bit of a dust-up once about male nudity, but we let the image stand on the grounds that we allow female nudity, and lost a few members over it.

We do sometimes remove images made from digital originals or scans that involve too much digital manipulation as being off-topic for APUG, but for the most part, subscribers are on the honor system.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Thanks for the comment about the moss.

It is interesting to me, however, that you consider your comments as being "harsh". I have in the past sold my work and during that time it mattered if clients and potential clients liked my work, but in general it doesn't bother me if they don't.

FWIW, I like some of the photos in your APUG gallery (e.g. your subway station shot), but I usually don't get too excited about anything that isn't either a print or a projected transparency - the 2 mega-pixel or less fractions of images on a desktop screen, a dim and poorly projected digital facsimile or, please no, a phone screen tend to leave me unfulfilled.

Admittedly, "she" has an unfair advantage over you. I have had the opportunity of meeting her and have seen her Alternative Process work in person - cyanotypes, gum over arabic, lith and other interesting processes that give depth and colour and texture to prints that a computer screen cannot come close to replicating.

On the subject of Trump, I tend to think poorly of people who have run four separate companies that have used bankruptcy to avoid their debts - especially people with as little humility as Donald Trump apparently has. He tends to be the sort of person who runs companies who leave a whole bunch of smaller creditors (like photographers!) unpaid for their products or services.
    I agree trump's a jerk, and I wouldn't want to be like him in a lot of ways, but I wouldn't mind having SOME of his money lol

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I don't see any censorship issue here. No one has reported your images, and the APUG administration hasn't taken any action on them. If you post images in a public space or publish them or show them in a gallery and are criticized for them, that's just how the world is, and if you respond to criticism by withdrawing those images, that's your decision, not censorship.

On APUG, images are rarely removed for content reasons. I can only recall one specific instance involving a still life of Nazi memorabilia, which may have been illegal in some parts of the world where we have a substantial membership, though the image itself wasn't necessarily advocating for or glorifying Nazism in my opinion. In this case we had to weigh the effect of allowing the image against the possibility that it could put APUG on filtration lists that would make it hard for many of our users to access APUG, and also we considered that the image could be upsetting to some users, even though it was a relatively bland still life. We might have to remove images of child nudity for similar reasons, but I don't think we've ever had a case. I suppose that if we considered an image exploitative of the subject or defamatory, we might remove it, but again, it hasn't come up.

We had a bit of a dust-up once about male nudity, but we let the image stand on the grounds that we allow female nudity, and lost a few members over it.

We do sometimes remove images made from digital originals or scans that involve too much digital manipulation as being off-topic for APUG, but for the most part, subscribers are on the honor system.
    I don't think I feel there is censorship from APUG I feel there is censorship from the membership and that's why I wanted to know what the majority thought was the most acceptable imagery. So far the poll results have me feeling better except the "Ansel only" people and I suspect they are mostly kidding except Janana (I'm on my phone and can't check the spelling), but he's always a devils advocate anyway lol.

~Stone

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I don't think I feel there is censorship from APUG I feel there is censorship from the membership
    Since the membership can't actually remove your images, I would call that "criticism" rather than "censorship."
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is Stone dead, yet?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think most of the poll postings are tongue in cheek....
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    It's the sort of artistic-headlock a la Bresson one sees over on [deleted], an otherwise great site.
    It sure is... if it weren't for the "censorship and judgement". Ha ha ha... that's a joke - not.
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 01-26-2013 at 09:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PM sent, as public comments would just seem to roil the waters more. After a couple of posts by me Stone said he was done replying to me. This thread says Stone can't let it rest.

Stone, I'm just an aging feminist on the other side of the continent. Why are you wasting so much angst on what I think?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I don't think I feel there is censorship from APUG I feel there is censorship from the membership and that's why I wanted to know what the majority thought was the most acceptable imagery. So far the poll results have me feeling better except the "Ansel only" people and I suspect they are mostly kidding except Janana (I'm on my phone and can't check the spelling), but he's always a devils advocate anyway lol.

~Stone

stone i don't think it is censorship at all, i think it is the impression you left ...
    your images and commentary left some people questioning why you posted and labelled people as you did in
    the threads + image descriptions ... were you suggesting that the membership who may
    question why you posted images and referred to your subjects (sometimes in harsh and not so nice ways)
    censor themselves rather than question your motives ?

and i am not playing the devil's lawyer i do think everything but grand landscapes are an extreme waste of time ..

( looking for a paintbrush )
    jnananana
    Last edited by jnanian; 01-26-2013 at 03:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin