Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,723   Online: 856

View Poll Results: What is THE LIMIT of appropriate subject matter for APUG

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Only Ansel Adams type scenery

5 7.25%
  • Above+ some portraits and kittens are ok

3 4.35%
  • Above+ a FEW scenes of the real world like semi harsh news - occupy wall street / hoarders home

3 4.35%
  • Above+ Implied Nude girls holding flowers & sunlight, light war destroyed structures, no people

1 1.45%
  • Above+ Full Nude but no lower genitals showing and only smiles, sad images of hungry orphans

8 11.59%
  • Above+ Full Nude w/ genitals exposed, Vietnam starving naked children in street, birth w/ crowning

12 17.39%
  • Above+ Full Nude w/ macro shots of vaginas & penises, dead warriors in piles on a battlefield

37 53.62%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 267891011121314 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Sly... Stone. ah, levity.

Anyway, I did like the photo in question. I liked the double exposure and I liked the background and peripherals. I found the image somewhat disturbing, or at least unnerving. I never read any accompanying caption and am glad. Just show me the photo. I do agree that the model wasn't sufficiently skinny as to represent anorexia, but I thought the treatment conveyed that anyway.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Censorship and judgement on APUG and in the world...

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Since the membership can't actually remove your images, I would call that "criticism" rather than "censorship."
    Censorship by peer pressure, as in censoring oneself for fear of other peers disapproval.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    It's really harsh because the second part somehow got left out,

"and here's why I think so..."

Ken
    It's a little harsh, but PE has also seen many photos, and from all of his comments I've seen thus far, I can point to lots of things he might mean, many having to do with the exposure and development stuff that is more technical, whether this is true or not I'm going to pretend it is, somehow technical details like "the blacks don't fall between this ratio" don't seem to bother me at all, so I'm imagining that's more his issue with the photo. I'm probably wrong but that's what I'm pretending haha

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hoopla View Post
    Sly... Stone. ah, levity.

Anyway, I did like the photo in question. I liked the double exposure and I liked the background and peripherals. I found the image somewhat disturbing, or at least unnerving. I never read any accompanying caption and am glad. Just show me the photo. I do agree that the model wasn't sufficiently skinny as to represent anorexia, but I thought the treatment conveyed that anyway.
    Thanks

~Stone

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    I thought this was settled years ago when a member posted a shot of a rather "happy" male appendage.
    juan
    I wasn't around then, but it's been referenced a few times now, but not before this post.

~Stone

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    Nobody censored you. Your entire problem seems to be that people didn't like your picture and the way it was presented, or see in it what you did. That not only seems to be criticism, but could be considered useful criticism.

I saw a thread elsewhere that showed lots of people think you should only leave positive comments on pictures. That is one of the things I most dislike about Flickr, the barrage of back pats regardless of merit. That sort of mutual admiration society seems pretty useless to me. Hopefully there is some middle ground of civil discourse; more likely to happen here than on most of the net. I think if somebody really steps out of line here, others will come to your defense.
    I don't care if people don't like it, if they have constructive criticism that's even better.

The fact that the image is good or bad is irrelevant it's just one image and I have no issue with people not liking it.

This post happened to be how I personally was referred to in combination between the image an the other thread about the model who didn't know what film was. It was about my character and how my character was referred to. I felt personal hurt by the way I was referred to or the feelings about what kind of man I was, that's what this is about.

That said sly and I have talked, she pointed out my mistakes in speech and the perspective I gave and that my speech/language could have been clearer as to not give leeway to misunderstanding and not not allow bad comments to be said about the model in the post.

~Stone

Shooter
    35mm
    The Internet is an interesting place. One must realize that it is in practice the foulest version of democracy, the version where ignorance is equal to knowledge, facts are arrived at by consensus, and anonymity or distance guarantees righteousness.

I don't worry much about it. This is a good Internet community, one of the best you will find, but it is still the Internet. You can get a lot out of it, but when you stand up it goes away. It is not real for most intents and purposes.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    One must realize that it is in practice the foulest version of democracy, the version where ignorance is equal to knowledge, facts are arrived at by consensus, and anonymity or distance guarantees righteousness.
    The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars
    But in ourselves...

- Shakespeare
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    I thought this was settled years ago when a member posted a shot of a rather "happy" male appendage.
    juan
    Juan- the male appendage in question you refer to was not "happy" - just apparently intimidating to some folks. But even before that happened, it was always APUG policy that nudes are allowed, barring depiction of explicit sexual activity. I don't know that a gynecological photo would even per-se fall afoul of the rules, although it would certainly be in questionable taste. The only time I can recall in my 8 years on this forum there was even a brief thought given (by management) to asking someone to take down a photo was when someone posted a still-life containing Nazi paraphernalia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Happy or intimidating, I found the whole episode funny. The argument that female nudes are allowed, why not male, made perfect sense to me.
    And as for Nazi (or other totalitarian) banishment, I think David's earlier post is the only one that makes sense. Depicting that stuff is actually illegal in some countries, so perhaps it should not be on APUG. Some of Tina Modotti's last work was obviously promoting Communism and Stalin, but I don't think that would be, or should be, banned.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin