Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,987   Online: 847
      

View Poll Results: What is THE LIMIT of appropriate subject matter for APUG

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Only Ansel Adams type scenery

    5 7.25%
  • Above+ some portraits and kittens are ok

    3 4.35%
  • Above+ a FEW scenes of the real world like semi harsh news - occupy wall street / hoarders home

    3 4.35%
  • Above+ Implied Nude girls holding flowers & sunlight, light war destroyed structures, no people

    1 1.45%
  • Above+ Full Nude but no lower genitals showing and only smiles, sad images of hungry orphans

    8 11.59%
  • Above+ Full Nude w/ genitals exposed, Vietnam starving naked children in street, birth w/ crowning

    12 17.39%
  • Above+ Full Nude w/ macro shots of vaginas & penises, dead warriors in piles on a battlefield

    37 53.62%
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 134
  1. #11
    cliveh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    3,293
    Images
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Stone,

    You are not wrong. But, when you say anything in any place, especially on Internet, you invite opinions. A photograph is an expression of the photographer but an impression belongs to the viewer. Two of them are often not in sync no matter how carefully you frame the image. I don't know which image of you are talking about or who you are referring to as respected female member. But it all boils down to this. If you don't want anyone with harsh and different opinion to comment, don't post your images. Not because you are wrong, but because you have no control over what that person or anyone else might say about your images or even you.

    Yes, it bothers me deeply when someone comments so harshly and especially when those comments basically amounts to personal attacks. The Internet has brought all of us an ability to say what we want, freely, and not assume any personal responsibilities.
    All very interesting, but can you please tell me what image you are talking about?

    “The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

    Francis Bacon

  2. #12
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,312
    Images
    225
    The image is still in my gallery, but here for those not subscribed...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	241.7 KB 
ID:	63139
    Last edited by StoneNYC; 01-25-2013 at 04:11 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: wrong image

  3. #13
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,312
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    As I recall, the complaint was about what you wrote and have written, not the image. She had an opinion and expressed it. That's not censorship. Get over it.

    You know what they say about opinions and assholes.
    You're recalling the secondary image and reference to it which was also taken out of context. Others said harsh things and I didn't respond condoning their comments, I was more being criticized for NOT saying anything in that instance, this comment is more about the OTHER image, which I've now posted above.

  4. #14
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,312
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Stone,

    You are not wrong. But, when you say anything in any place, especially on Internet, you invite opinions. A photograph is an expression of the photographer but an impression belongs to the viewer. Two of them are often not in sync no matter how carefully you frame the image. I don't know which image of you are talking about or who you are referring to as respected female member. But it all boils down to this. If you don't want anyone with harsh and different opinion to comment, don't post your images. Not because you are wrong, but because you have no control over what that person or anyone else might say about your images or even you.

    Yes, it bothers me deeply when someone comments so harshly and especially when those comments basically amounts to personal attacks. The Internet has brought all of us an ability to say what we want, freely, and not assume any personal responsibilities.
    I agree about the internet part, I guess I just thought that APUG had a more respectful crowd since we are mostly artists, but I guess perhaps I'm wrong about that too.

  5. #15
    Rick A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    north central Pa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,926
    Images
    33
    Though I opt not to take the survey, I am willing to allow anyone to post anything they deem appropriate to the forum as long as it adheres to forum rules. After all, I have the ability to decide if I want to view it or not, and even after viewing something I have the ability to not return to it if it offends me. I neither will comment nor complain, merely ignore if I don't like it.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

  6. #16
    cliveh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    3,293
    Images
    343
    An interesting image. I don't underestand the problem.

    “The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

    Francis Bacon

  7. #17
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,312
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Though I opt not to take the survey, I am willing to allow anyone to post anything they deem appropriate to the forum as long as it adheres to forum rules. After all, I have the ability to decide if I want to view it or not, and even after viewing something I have the ability to not return to it if it offends me. I neither will comment nor complain, merely ignore if I don't like it.
    Is this your way of saying you don't like the poll? LOL

    That's my attempt at humor, I'm smiling because I like your response.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I guess I just thought that APUG had a more respectful crowd since we are mostly artists, but I guess perhaps I'm wrong about that too.
    I think "more respectful" is not necessarily disproven by one, or even a few, vocal jerks. Heck, this is DEFINITELY on the "more respectful" side of the spectrum from 4chan! *wry grin*

    More respectful than YouTube, Facebook, Imgur, and Flickr, too. Probably less-respectful than the secret by-invitation-only message board for archbishops, cardinals, and popes the Vatican will be setting up in a few years, though.

  9. #19
    Ken Nadvornick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Monroe, WA, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,276
    Images
    48
    For the record, although I am not the person in question (I'm not a 'she'), I did voice a single line of public support for her position. That support was rooted in some very personal life experiences of mine. I chose to voice the more complete details of those experiences offline. My concerns were listened to sincerely, and after a series of back-and-forth PMs that constituted a very open and pleasant conversation, a common understanding was reached. That is how it should be.

    I found Stone to a very approachable and easy to converse with individual. He has a very open mind. He's very willing to listen. There is no reason for the 'she' in question not to approach her misgivings regarding him in exactly the same way as I did, if she has not already done so.

    And if she hasn't, I would respectfully counsel her to try it.

    Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

    — Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

  10. #20
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,312
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    An interesting image. I don't underestand the problem.
    I guess the problem is two fold, since even this is out of context ... let me try and surmise... really simply

    Posted a theological discussion of the fact that one of my recent models asked me what film was because she didn't know and had never really experienced it and I only posted it as a theology of our changing times and perception of photography, she had really only experienced digital in any adult fashion, maybe as a kid there were film cameras but her parents probably loaded them, anyway I had asked what people thought, and got a lot of negative responses referring to the model as ignorant, I didn't agree but didn't really stop all the heckling much and only slightly defended her, and then this image was posted and the thought was put forth that I don't share any empathy with the models I shoot and that I don't care about them or their feelings. Which is not at all true, but that's really the basics of the whole thing.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin