Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,728   Online: 879
      

View Poll Results: What is THE LIMIT of appropriate subject matter for APUG

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Only Ansel Adams type scenery

    5 7.25%
  • Above+ some portraits and kittens are ok

    3 4.35%
  • Above+ a FEW scenes of the real world like semi harsh news - occupy wall street / hoarders home

    3 4.35%
  • Above+ Implied Nude girls holding flowers & sunlight, light war destroyed structures, no people

    1 1.45%
  • Above+ Full Nude but no lower genitals showing and only smiles, sad images of hungry orphans

    8 11.59%
  • Above+ Full Nude w/ genitals exposed, Vietnam starving naked children in street, birth w/ crowning

    12 17.39%
  • Above+ Full Nude w/ macro shots of vaginas & penises, dead warriors in piles on a battlefield

    37 53.62%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 134
  1. #21
    eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,399
    Images
    196
    I remember the image, and posted. My problem with it was that I didn't think it conveyed the message you seemed to want to convey, based on the title. The double exposure obscured her condition to the point that you couldn't tell she was anorexic. Thin, yes. Clinically anorexic, maybe. I said then, and will repeat it now, I admire the model's courage in confronting her condition in such a public way.

    I post in the Gallery fairly regularly. Some of my work is borderline "traditional" photography, and occasionally the work is questioned. But, when I do post, it is for the purpose of critique (even in the standard gallery). Often, negative criticism is more valuable than positive responses. It can make me see things I hadn't prior to posting. I don't post for a pat on the back. I post because there are many subscribers whose opinions I admire, and their comments are always meaningful.

  2. #22
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,028
    Images
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    For the record, although I am not the person in question (I'm not a 'she'), I did voice a single line of public support for her position. That support was rooted in some very personal life experiences of mine. I chose to voice the more complete details of those experiences offline. My concerns were listened to sincerely, and after a series of back-and-forth PMs that constituted a very open and pleasant conversation, a common understanding was reached. That is how it should be.

    I found Stone to a very approachable and easy to converse with individual. He has a very open mind. He's very willing to listen. There is no reason for the 'she' in question not to approach her misgivings regarding him in exactly the same way as I did, if she has not already done so.

    And if she hasn't, I would respectfully counsel her to try it.

    Ken
    Thanks Ken, and I agree, I wish that I had been approached in private in the beginning, simply a "would you tell me more about why you posted this and more of the history, some of it bothers me but I want to know where you're coming from so I can understand better" or something like that, but it didn't really happen like that.

    I hope this post doesn't change your opinion of me Ken.

  3. #23
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,028
    Images
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I remember the image, and posted. My problem with it was that I didn't think it conveyed the message you seemed to want to convey, based on the title. The double exposure obscured her condition to the point that you couldn't tell she was anorexic. Thin, yes. Clinically anorexic, maybe. I said then, and will repeat it now, I admire the model's courage in confronting her condition in such a public way.

    I post in the Gallery fairly regularly. Some of my work is borderline "traditional" photography, and occasionally the work is questioned. But, when I do post, it is for the purpose of critique (even in the standard gallery). Often, negative criticism is more valuable than positive responses. It can make me see things I hadn't prior to posting. I don't post for a pat on the back. I post because there are many subscribers whose opinions I admire, and their comments are always meaningful.
    I can see your point, I guess I figured if I wanted true critique, I would post in the critique gallery... lol

    And part of why I chose THIS image was because it was hard to see, it obscured her breasts and condition so that if this image for some reason got taken out of here by someone and posted on for example tumblr, and then got tumbled along, out of context of the title, no one would really know she were sick or anything really and that would in some way protect her from any ridicule. That's why I didn't post other versions that were more clear.

  4. #24
    eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,399
    Images
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    And part of why I chose THIS image was because it was hard to see, it obscured her breasts and condition...
    Which is why, for me, it's unsuccessful. You obscured the very thing you were trying to make a statement about.

  5. #25
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,028
    Images
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    p.s. In my heart-of-hearts, though, I think most people are quite good about reading other peoples "online personas" and most people generally transmit an on-line persona that is fairly consistent with who they are in real life... real names or not.
    I would agree with part of that, I think the way we type and the way we speak might be very similar, but actions both obvious and obscured are what can really only be seen by knowing a person in real life, because I could always be saying "I like tities, yum yum" and I say that all the time online and in real life, but then I always hold the door for a lady, always pay for dinner, are courteous to them, never take action that isn't wanted in any fashion, never look down a girls shirt or grab at them etc.

    I don't personally say that, but it's an example, just because I post something online or say it, doesn't really give you any clue of my true persona, only my outward appearance, but in person, you can tell a lot more about a person than just their words.

  6. #26
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,028
    Images
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Which is why, for me, it's unsuccessful. You obscured the very thing you were trying to make a statement about.
    Ok, well that I can understand then, I guess I was hoping the image was strong enough with the title, but I guess not, I appreciate your feedback on that, thanks.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,999
    Some of the most minor things said or done "speak volumes". Sure, they don't form a complete personality analysis, but htey are the makings of impressions. Whether right or wrong, they are sometimes lasting impressions. It is all part of being human.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,999
    As someone said before... lick your wounds and move on. This really isn't something you should let ruin your day. Good luck!

  9. #29
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,028
    Images
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Some of the most minor things said or done "speak volumes". Sure, they don't form a complete personality analysis, but htey are the makings of impressions. Whether right or wrong, they are sometimes lasting impressions. It is all part of being human.
    With this I agree... thanks for being so wise.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,999
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    With this I agree... thanks for being so wise.
    I must be having a "good day"... few ever say things like that to me. Thanks!

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin