Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,759   Online: 861

View Poll Results: What is THE LIMIT of appropriate subject matter for APUG

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Only Ansel Adams type scenery

5 7.25%
  • Above+ some portraits and kittens are ok

3 4.35%
  • Above+ a FEW scenes of the real world like semi harsh news - occupy wall street / hoarders home

3 4.35%
  • Above+ Implied Nude girls holding flowers & sunlight, light war destroyed structures, no people

1 1.45%
  • Above+ Full Nude but no lower genitals showing and only smiles, sad images of hungry orphans

8 11.59%
  • Above+ Full Nude w/ genitals exposed, Vietnam starving naked children in street, birth w/ crowning

12 17.39%
  • Above+ Full Nude w/ macro shots of vaginas & penises, dead warriors in piles on a battlefield

37 53.62%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I guess I was hoping the image was strong enough with the title
    This is just me, but I feel that, since photography is a visual medium, the photograph isn't communicating effectively if it needs the title, background info paragraph listed in the gallery catalogue, or the little bit of haiku decoupaged over the edge. The moment text becomes necessary, it's a (however-short) essay, illustrated with a photograph.

Not that photographically-illustrated essays are a bad thing, but "the work" at that point is not a photograph, it's a multi-component piece of which the photograph is one part.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi stone

i was one of the commenters from your image post.
    maybe if you posted your title / blurb to put the image and
    the way you described it into context this thread will make more sense.

my comment was really about how you posted the image for " shock value "
    how it was kind of dizzying because of the double exposure aspect of it
    and i wasn't really sure how this image really portrayed the subject as you were
    trying to portray it + her. i also commented that it was kind of harsh the way you
    described her in a public forum and while you have a model release form
    describing someone the way you did wasn't the nicest way to describe her ...

i think the person you have a beef with was sticking up for the young lady ( ladies )
    you have chosen to photograph and the way you have chosen to describe + portray them
    both in the image post and in the threads/ forum .. because your descriptions + portrayals were harsh ..

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I guess the problem is....... the thought was put forth that I don't share any empathy with the models I shoot and that I don't care about them or their feelings. Which is not at all true, but that's really the basics of the whole thing.

Stone,
    I have mixed feeling about all of this...but I'll just share this one idea because I think it may possibly prove to be the most helpful to you (even if it only turns out to be helpful in the long term):

It is often the case that the criticism that hurts the most is that which we really need to hear the most but are unable to accept. The idea is that way deep down you know there is some truth to the matter but, you really do not want to admit it. You do not want to face that ugly part of you. An example is the alcoholic who refuses to admit that he has a drinking problem and gets angry if anybody else suggests it.

I think it takes a great deal of personal strength and much introspection to come to point where one allows that, maybe, just maybe some part of the criticism is true. Give it some thought and some quiet time. Is there something you that you can change to improve in this area?

I know all too well how difficult this is to hear and to think about...it may be worth it to give it some thought and reflection.

oh...and I would definitely say that cat photos should be strictly prohibited on APUG.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, well that I can understand then, I guess I was hoping the image was strong enough with the title, but I guess not, I appreciate your feedback on that, thanks.
    When you need a title to impart your message, it usually means the image doesn't stand on it's own.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sehrgut View Post
    This is just me, but I feel that, since photography is a visual medium, the photograph isn't communicating effectively if it needs the title, background info paragraph listed in the gallery catalogue, or the little bit of haiku decoupaged over the edge. The moment text becomes necessary, it's a (however-short) essay, illustrated with a photograph.

Not that photographically-illustrated essays are a bad thing, but "the work" at that point is not a photograph, it's a multi-component piece of which the photograph is one part.
    So in your view, no photograph should have a title, because even "tree in a brook" tells you something about the image from the photographers mind, while without the title, someone might intemperate that as 'brook with a tree in it'. Therefore any image with a small title tag has lost some of it's power?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Stone,
    I have mixed feeling about all of this...but I'll just share this one idea because I think it may possibly prove to be the most helpful to you (even if it only turns out to be helpful in the long term):

It is often the case that the criticism that hurts the most is that which we really need to hear the most but are unable to accept. The idea is that way deep down you know there is some truth to the matter but, you really do not want to admit it. You do not want to face that ugly part of you. An example is the alcoholic who refuses to admit that he has a drinking problem and gets angry if anybody else suggests it.

I think it takes a great deal of personal strength and much introspection to come to point where one allows that, maybe, just maybe some part of the criticism is true. Give it some thought and some quiet time. Is there something you that you can change to improve in this area?

I know all too well how difficult this is to hear and to think about...it may be worth it to give it some thought and reflection.

oh...and I would definitely say that cat photos should be strictly prohibited on APUG.
    This kind of constructive criticism is often welcome. But the statement made was merely that I have no sympathy for my subjects and don't care about them. When I care deeply, but I see the broader view, that this one individual MIGHT someday be harmed by the image, but both they and I chose to participate, that they knew what they were going through (as she has told me she is up 10lbs from this to which I am thankful and I contact her regularly to ask "how's your health") but I hope that when on display, with some thorough explanation, I can also allow others to not be blind by those they know that might be going through similar problems, like my mini-manifesto says "...to shed light on a dark world" I look to share the darker parts of the world with those who might otherwise wish to be blind to it. This might hurt some, but I feel it's important and could be a "greater good" in the end, much like your statement to me.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    OK the poll's descriptions might appear to be in jest but who said "ansel adams only"? I see that one as a joke more than a serious statement and I can't imagine anyone actually means that... lol

The poll results will determine what I post... so please click accurately to your true belief. If you really think Ansel is all that should be here, that's fine I am just making sure it's understood the poll has a purpose as well.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    . If you really think Ansel is all that should be here....
    Oh G-d help us...NO! What a boring place this would be if the grand landscape were the only permissible subject!

I am being very serious. I appreciate Mr Adams' contribution to the art and craft but, I've had quite enough of his photography.

EDIT: I strongly encourage you to continue to be yourself and post what ever you want to post!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Oh G-d help us...NO! What a boring place this would be if the grand landscape were the only permissible subject!

I am being very serious. I appreciate Mr Adams' contribution to the art and craft but, I've had quite enough of his photography.

EDIT: I strongly encourage you to continue to be yourself and post what ever you want to post!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry about any insults. I'm hurt more when I post a photo for critique and no one bothers to comment.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin