Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,958   Posts: 1,586,106   Online: 1135

View Poll Results: What is THE LIMIT of appropriate subject matter for APUG

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Only Ansel Adams type scenery

5 7.25%
  • Above+ some portraits and kittens are ok

3 4.35%
  • Above+ a FEW scenes of the real world like semi harsh news - occupy wall street / hoarders home

3 4.35%
  • Above+ Implied Nude girls holding flowers & sunlight, light war destroyed structures, no people

1 1.45%
  • Above+ Full Nude but no lower genitals showing and only smiles, sad images of hungry orphans

8 11.59%
  • Above+ Full Nude w/ genitals exposed, Vietnam starving naked children in street, birth w/ crowning

12 17.39%
  • Above+ Full Nude w/ macro shots of vaginas & penises, dead warriors in piles on a battlefield

37 53.62%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Sorry about any insults. I'm hurt more when I post a photo for critique and no one bothers to comment.
    I can see how that would hurt too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I agree about the internet part, I guess I just thought that APUG had a more respectful crowd since we are mostly artists, but I guess perhaps I'm wrong about that too.

WE ARE all artist in our mind, I think. But we also have our opinions and perhaps because we are artists, we have strong opinions about some imagery.

Also.... as much as we don't know about you and you as a person, you don't know about the person who posted harsh comments. You have no idea what hurts some people or evoke an emotional response. I saw your image. I don't see anything really wrong with it. But perhaps someone had a close friend or family member affected by the problem, or maybe himself/herself is.... and thought you were exploiting it. Emotional response may be the reaction. I don't think we can blame that person.

One thing is true.... you evoked strong reaction/emotion. It just wasn't the kind you wanted.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    WE ARE all artist in our mind, I think. But we also have our opinions and perhaps because we are artists, we have strong opinions about some imagery.

Also.... as much as we don't know about you and you as a person, you don't know about the person who posted harsh comments. You have no idea what hurts some people or evoke an emotional response. I saw your image. I don't see anything really wrong with it. But perhaps someone had a close friend or family member affected by the problem, or maybe himself/herself is.... and thought you were exploiting it. Emotional response may be the reaction. I don't think we can blame that person.

One thing is true.... you evoked strong reaction/emotion. It just wasn't the kind you wanted.
    I suppose you are right.

Also thinking more about Ken's point, perhaps I should have approached the poster privately and tried to explain myself further, but then I didn't want to be forcing an interaction if she didn't want one. Why is life so complicated? lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PERSONALLY, I think this image would be stronger if it wasn't doubly exposed. It would even be better if the title wasn't an attempt at a humor. But that's me. I would agree to certain degree, with some posters, your sympathetic approach didn't quite come through.

I dunno, poster had his reason for her response. She expressed it. You responded. Both sides spoke. I don't think neither side has to "win" this argument?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I admire the work you've been doing, and I believe that the purpose of photography is to make a statement with your life and the be a witness to your time. Pretty rocks sticks and trees, while we all shoot them and its always fun to burn some film, can sometimes feel unfufulling, at least to me.

While there are always going to be sheltered people that are shocked when they see for themselves the brutality of the truth, you will be criticized. Many photos of the civil war were, for that very reason, despite the fact that many were staged. And now we live in a society that sees so much play-war, and violence that you'd think they would have lost sensitivity or broadened their horizons, however that is not always the case.

I look forward to your future posts.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    I admire the work you've been doing, and I believe that the purpose of photography is to make a statement with your life and the be a witness to your time. Pretty rocks sticks and trees, while we all shoot them and its always fun to burn some film, can sometimes feel unfufulling, at least to me.

While there are always going to be sheltered people that are shocked when they see for themselves the brutality of the truth, you will be criticized. Many photos of the civil war were, for that very reason, despite the fact that many were staged. And now we live in a society that sees so much play-war, and violence that you'd think they would have lost sensitivity or broadened their horizons, however that is not always the case.

I look forward to your future posts.
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Either that.... or Stone is really a horrible person.... Kidding of course!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    PERSONALLY, I think this image would be stronger if it wasn't doubly exposed. It would even be better if the title wasn't an attempt at a humor. But that's me. I would agree to certain degree, with some posters, your sympathetic approach didn't quite come through.

I dunno, poster had his reason for her response. She expressed it. You responded. Both sides spoke. I don't think neither side has to "win" this argument?
    Not looking to win, I honestly wanted to get a feel for weather I should post more "taboo" imagery or stick to mountains...the poll is real.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Either that.... or Stone is really a horrible person.... Kidding of course!
    :-P

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's obvious that you are an artist, because your sensitivity to criticism is acute. I recall the comment that I think triggered this, and I completely understand why you feel as you do.

I underwent a portfolio review a few years ago, and was very well received by all but one reviewer who right out of the gate said, "This isn't 'art'." Of course he was right in that I hadn't paid homage to the large, color, ironic and bland deadpan aesthetic of that moment, but I was pissed!!! It didn't matter how many supportive and complimentary comments I'd received prior to that one....it was a gutshot!!

Since then I've become much more relaxed about criticism....it's going to be inevitable once your photographs reach beyond your mother's refrigerator. You did not celebrate the model's anorexia (if it was that), you simply documented it and added your comment.

Pull up your big boy pants...suck it up, buttercup...and get the hell on with it!!! Do your best work, learn what you can from criticism, but don't leave the forum....!!!!! There's no crying in photography!!
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin