Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,857   Online: 966

View Poll Results: What is THE LIMIT of appropriate subject matter for APUG

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Only Ansel Adams type scenery

5 7.25%
  • Above+ some portraits and kittens are ok

3 4.35%
  • Above+ a FEW scenes of the real world like semi harsh news - occupy wall street / hoarders home

3 4.35%
  • Above+ Implied Nude girls holding flowers & sunlight, light war destroyed structures, no people

1 1.45%
  • Above+ Full Nude but no lower genitals showing and only smiles, sad images of hungry orphans

8 11.59%
  • Above+ Full Nude w/ genitals exposed, Vietnam starving naked children in street, birth w/ crowning

12 17.39%
  • Above+ Full Nude w/ macro shots of vaginas & penises, dead warriors in piles on a battlefield

37 53.62%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i think only ansel adams landscapes should be allowed in the gallery
    cause in the end that is the only photography that will be remembered.
    nude women/ men, grande still lives, photographs showing the course harsh underbelly of the world
    the gore of it all, it will all be forgotten and answell adaams landscapes will be the end.
    for more than a generation ... (americans at least) when they see a photograph that isn't 100% in sharp focus
    edge to edge, micro contrast out the wazoo well, it really isn't photography, its some photographer trying to make an "artistic statement", and a lame one at that !

i think the gallery should be scoured and only grand landscapes, and no artsy star trail stuff either, that is just a statement ...

the kittens goes too far, unless they are having tea.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wanna see kittens playing poker!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about create a special gallery for Stone's stuff and charge 10 bucks a months for access?

I think some of that will be inviting too much trouble from all directions. After all, we all have different values and opinions. Just because we can, doesn't necessary mean we should either. At the end, it's Sean's decision.

I'd agree to any and all of those, provided it's an OPT-IN type of gallery. (10 dollars is a joke) You choose to see them, and what you see, you don't complain.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, I think you've had a glass or two of whatever you imbibe, but so have I, and I agree completely. Ansel is 'god' and there shall be no 'gods' before him. All photographers should have densitometerically tested all their negatives to an ideal based on printing paper from the forties, and print only on graded papers ignoring sixty years of evolution. Such work will be a lot easier when one's hand has been extracted from one's ass.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I wanna see kittens playing poker!
    I'd rather see cats playing russian roulette.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They're too smart for that, Brian. Never give a cat a loaded gun.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    It's obvious that you are an artist, because your sensitivity to criticism is acute. I recall the comment that I think triggered this, and I completely understand why you feel as you do.

I underwent a portfolio review a few years ago, and was very well received by all but one reviewer who right out of the gate said, "This isn't 'art'." Of course he was right in that I hadn't paid homage to the large, color, ironic and bland deadpan aesthetic of that moment, but I was pissed!!! It didn't matter how many supportive and complimentary comments I'd received prior to that one....it was a gutshot!!

Since then I've become much more relaxed about criticism....it's going to be inevitable once your photographs reach beyond your mother's refrigerator. You did not celebrate the model's anorexia (if it was that), you simply documented it and added your comment.

Pull up your big boy pants...suck it up, buttercup...and get the hell on with it!!! Do your best work, learn what you can from criticism, but don't leave the forum....!!!!! There's no crying in photography!!
    Best response yet! Thanks so much, this is a good perspective.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I came across this bit of wisdom somewhere on the 'net: "If you need validation, you're not creating art." As a writer, I happen to believe it's spot on.
    -Fred

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i think only ansel adams landscapes should be allowed in the gallery
    cause in the end that is the only photography that will be remembered.
    nude women/ men, grande still lives, photographs showing the course harsh underbelly of the world
    the gore of it all, it will all be forgotten and answell adaams landscapes will be the end.
    for more than a generation ... (americans at least) when they see a photograph that isn't 100% in sharp focus
    edge to edge, micro contrast out the wazoo well, it really isn't photography, its some photographer trying to make an "artistic statement", and a lame one at that !

i think the gallery should be scoured and only grand landscapes, and no artsy star trail stuff either, that is just a statement ...

the kittens goes too far, unless they are having tea.
    I'm pretty sure "the afghan girl" will be remembered...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Ansel is 'god' and there shall be no 'gods' before him.
    Uh oh...

Every year the wife (err, Santa) gives Ken a new AA calender for his darkroom wall.

Time to chop up the ropes and chop down the trees!

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin