Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,500   Posts: 1,571,607   Online: 1292

View Poll Results: What is THE LIMIT of appropriate subject matter for APUG

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Only Ansel Adams type scenery

5 7.25%
  • Above+ some portraits and kittens are ok

3 4.35%
  • Above+ a FEW scenes of the real world like semi harsh news - occupy wall street / hoarders home

3 4.35%
  • Above+ Implied Nude girls holding flowers & sunlight, light war destroyed structures, no people

1 1.45%
  • Above+ Full Nude but no lower genitals showing and only smiles, sad images of hungry orphans

8 11.59%
  • Above+ Full Nude w/ genitals exposed, Vietnam starving naked children in street, birth w/ crowning

12 17.39%
  • Above+ Full Nude w/ macro shots of vaginas & penises, dead warriors in piles on a battlefield

37 53.62%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    1. A thick skin is useful. Get one.
    2. I found the image inoffensive but muddy visually and in its message.
    3. The subject, while thin, was not thin enough to imply, by necessity, anorexia nervosa, she might have been merely fashionable .
    4. All people have baggage of one sort or another. All of them.
    5. Duchamp told a friend that if he had not titled his work "Nude Descending a Staircase" there never would have been such an uproar. Titles have power; they can display things by intent not present.
    6. If you feel you're on your track stay on it. If the track needs to end, and you're honest with yourself, you'll end it.
    7. You should be writing polls for The Onion.

s-a
    Last edited by semi-ambivalent; 01-25-2013 at 08:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stone;

I have seen just about everything in your poll and more on APUG. Yeah, right here!

Chill out!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can't believe that vaginas are out polling kittens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Who?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I'm pretty sure "the afghan girl" will be remembered...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I'd rather see cats playing russian roulette.
    POTD
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Censorship and judgement on APUG and in the world...

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Stone;

I have seen just about everything in your poll and more on APUG. Yeah, right here!

Chill out!

PE
    Yes Sir Father Kodak

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Who?
    Originally Posted by StoneNYC

If I remember correctly he is referring to the National Geographic cover a few years ago of the Afghan girl with blue eyes looking beautiful.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    1. A thick skin is useful. Get one.
    2. I found the image inoffensive but muddy visually and in its message.
    3. The subject, while thin, was not thin enough to imply, by necessity, anorexia nervosa, she might have been merely fashionable .
    4. All people have baggage of one sort or another. All of them.
    5. Duchamp told a friend that if he had not titled his work "Nude Descending a Staircase" there never would have been such an uproar. Titles have power; they can display things by intent not present.
    6. If you feel you're on your track stay on it. If the track needs to end, and you're honest with yourself, you'll end it.
    7. You should be writing polls for The Onion.

s-a
    Good points, the images that really show her health are all digital and forbidden here.

The title as I stated somewhere else is no the real title, I don't really give titles to my work the way others do until I actually hang them and they become official, this is simply the first thing that came to kind at the time but I also wouldn't hang this in a gallery I would hang the other ones that are clearer.

I prefer your critique at least it's honest without attack.

I probably should write for the onion...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Osgood View Post
    Originally Posted by StoneNYC

If I remember correctly he is referring to the National Geographic cover a few years ago of the Afghan girl with blue eyes looking beautiful.
    Yes it's the most famous National Geographic photo ever, was shot on Kodachrome and was shot by Steve McCurry? In the dark, he sewed the undeveloped negatives into his jacket to smuggle them out of the country and had them processed back here after arriving home.

That's the image that inspired me to be a photographer, it will forever be ingrained in my brain.

"A few years ago" was around the time I was born, almost 30 years ago...

EDIT: and I'm pretty sure Brian was joking, he knows...

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    .. her portrait will be confused with he plethora of other portraits, made in the last 174 years ... its just "fluff" ...
    i can think of hundreds of portraits that *I* think are just as worthy of remembering, other stuff too,
    but what do i know, im just an outlier ... and we all know that answell's grande landscapes are the only ones worth remembering.

everyone's landscapes are immediately compared to his. who cares about portraits adn still lives and that experimental "artty crap"
    there are a zillion portrait photographers snapping portraits, and still lives + "art" maybe they should learn to paint cause
    everyone knows "thats not a photograph." its just a pathetic attempt at an artistic statement...

cats playing poker would be ok, if they are smoking stoggies and drinking beer ...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin