Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,842   Online: 959

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The solution, as it is with anything else in life, is to hope for the best and expect the worst... especially when dealing with other people... like loaning them money. If I expect something to suck I'm always happy when it's only mediocre.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    I suppose when there's a true realisation of something great, you know it before the act, and don't have to kid yourself afterwards.
    My take at this is: if you see (or sense) a true realisation of something great, then you see a goal (or at least something to aim for) ahead of you and will be ready to spend all the effort it takes to reach it. I don't believe in images that just happen to effortlessly fly into your camera and through the enlarger onto the paper.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Seriously speaking, if you are experiencing that much of an emotional roller-coaster-ride and to a point you are wondering if it is starting to affect your sanity, you should check with a mental health professional.

Serious hobbies aren't supposed to be easy but it isn't supposed to create that much of anguish and disappointment AND without giving you a sense of purpose or a desire to improve.

I realize this is Internet and I should take everything with grain of salt, and I am NOT a mental health care professional, but it just doesn't sound healthy. That's what I would seriously consider doing if I was experiencing that much of problems.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Thinking of the Pentax as a 'Super SLR' though, it's a very different beast to the Hasselblad. If the 'Blad is a Rolls Royce, the Pentax is a Ford Mustang. You just wouldn't drive them the same way - or even on the same roads!
    Ok, let's test your analogy a bit.

Are you going to let your car define where you go or let your driving needs define the car you pick?

Your thought that "With many of the square formatists I look at however, their chosen frame format defines their aesthetic" is in my opinion backward. I think that their chosen aesthetic drove their frame format choice. I.e. they bought the car that fit their driving needs.

I would also suggest that there are many photographers who use a variety of formats successfully. I know some of these guys personally. One, as far as I know only has two cameras, an 8x10 and an iPhone. Another does digital at his day job and 4x5 for all his personal stuff. For both the work they do with each camera is very different, but both sets of work for each are great. For both their camera choices are defined by the result they want in a given setting.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    <snip> Are you going to let your car define where you go or let your driving needs define the car you pick? <snip>
    Umm... yes, and yes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    <snip> Are you going to let your car define where you go or let your driving needs define the car you pick? <snip>
    Umm... yes, and yes.
    Well slap me silly and call me Judy ... Old-N-Feeble agrees with me. [All fun intended. This is not a negative [pun intended] reflection on O-N-F]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	White Knuckle 1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	63905Click image for larger version. 

Name:	White Knuckle 2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	214.0 KB 
ID:	63906
    Photographs of my driving taken on White Knuckle on Behind the Rocks trail, Moab UT. Hasselblad 503 CX 80mm lens Kodak UltraColor 400 120.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Looks fun Sirius.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Well slap me silly and call me Judy ... Old-N-Feeble agrees with me. [All fun intended. This is not a negative [pun intended] reflection on O-N-F]
    Oops... it was a mistake and it will never happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I started with the Pentax 6x7, it was after having used a Mamiya RZ67 for a year, so the frame size and aspect ratio was something I was used to. But I was using only the waist level finder with the Mamiya, and of course the prism finder for the Pentax. I think this has had an influence on the photographs of people, because of the way of interacting with the subject, the height of the camera etc. So far I enjoy the Pentax, though, for field work and hikes. If you have had the camera for a long time, and the decline in results is something that has happened suddenly, then I think you have to think about whether there is something else distracting you. Maybe work, family or social life. Maybe you are a bit depressed and you do not realise it. That will definitely influence the way in which you look at your photographs. But I am not a psychologist, just noting that you sound a bit strung. What helps for me at times, is to stop all forms of photography and photographic reading / learning, for a couple of weeks. Stay away from all the forums you frequent, stash your photo gear away, close the books and put them into the book shelf. Then go around, and LOOK at the world without photographing it. Ask yourself what things you like in the world around you, what you find interesting, what reflects what you are aware of in yourself. Simply be aware of your world and your response to it. Then after two or three weeks, go and photograph those things that moved you.

I find that when I photograph my children in a non-intrusive sort of way, it almost always breaks the ice for me. It is not that the photos are necessarily great, but the fact that I enjoy seeing the results none the less, makes the effort worthwhile. Eventually, when I get the opportunity to photograph other things, I have a positive mindset. I should also add that I seldom shoot CN film on my Pentax. My BW results tend to please me slightly more on average than the colour negatives. Maybe it is because it is sometimes really difficult to get the colour to gel with all the other elements in an image, while BW is forgiving in that sense.

As a last thought, the only sure way to get no images worth keeping, is to take no images at all. The only way to increase your hit rate, is to practice. The latter must have an element of evaluation / critique and then repeating the effort with the added insight. Just continuing to randomly shoot things without closing the learning loop will probably not help you understand what is wrong with your photographs, which may more be a lack of visualising properly than faulty technique etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Live in the moment. Beauty and magic presents itself at any moment. When you're present, you can fully relish it. Maybe capture it with your film camera
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin