Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,519   Posts: 1,572,217   Online: 983

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Eric, this call to action has been done before. Rick hit the nail on the head (reply #11)......
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum50/1...nostalgia.html
    Andy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Lith is simply a another set of tools to the printer; another level of abstraction and expression. The same is true of any alternative process, silver printing, wet plate, toning, large format. a Hasselblad or crappy cameras. If the tool helps you express what you want to express, why not use it. If people think it is art, so much the better. If not, that's ok too.

PS: don't look too close at my avatar....)
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sbattert View Post
    This is an open forum for learning, isn't it? Only fifteen photos were shared in the apug gallery today. There are only two willing to be critiqued.
    I have what may be a totally naive question: Is "willing to be critiqued" really the criterion generally understood? I've always been afraid to post in the critique gallery, not because I'm *unwilling* to be critiqued, but because I'm afraid I'd leave people saying "Why does this idiot think I want to waste my time on critiquing his Printing 101 rejects?"

Most of this is subjective. Also, what is perceived as ordinary today may evolve into something extraordinary. Wasn't there harsh opposition to impressionist paintings at first?
    I guess that's fair, but lith is one of those techniques where you can kinda see how the technique becomes an end in itself. It's like IR; there are a lot of IR photos where it seems pretty safe to say that there's nothing interesting about them except the fact that they were shot in IR. There's nothing *wrong* with that necessarily, but it's kind of superficial by itself. I get where Eric is coming from, I think.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lith is a tool and just like any tool it can be misused. On the other Hand lith is no more a gimmick than say a overdramatized sky a la Ansel Adams. A classic B/W print has several gimmicks at it's disposal a Border if it lacks blacks or the whites are too white and can't be contained, the aforementioned sky, contrast, etc... All these tools/gimmicks can be put to good use but can be just as misused as a Lith print. Alt. Processes including Lith and Wetplate are often seen as gimmick. The World is in color not B/W so using B/W is a gimmick to draw the viewers attention no different than a lith print.

Dominik

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a similar thought every time I see a cyanotype of a single iris (or similar flower) in a glass vase. It's as if the process was invented for that subject alone.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think your observation applies to many forms of prints.
    Take a color image, landscape maybe...is it about the color or will the image hold up and be interesting as a b&w?
    Wet plate seems to address this even more these days than lith...and for awhile, it seemed platinum did too - "since its a 12x20 platinum it's special".

Bottom line for me is if the process enhances the image than who cares about "what if", but process alone certainly doesn't make a mediocre image better, just different.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze-on View Post
    Take a color image, landscape maybe...is it about the color or will the image hold up and be interesting as a b&w?
    If the image was seen in colour and doesn't work, it's a failure. If it accidentally looks pretty in black and white, what's happened to your intention at the shooting stage?
    Isn't this what everyone on APUG hates about digital - act now think later?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    If the image was seen in colour and doesn't work, it's a failure. If it accidentally looks pretty in black and white, what's happened to your intention at the shooting stage?
    Isn't this what everyone on APUG hates about digital - act now think later?
    It's about peeling away the fluff (be it collodion, color, lith affects, etc) and seeing the composition (for me at least).
    Intention and the what becomes the final result sometimes are a nice surprise
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think people are just having fun experimenting and sharing 90% of the time. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. To me, a truly outstanding image needs to combine both subject/composition and the correct technique to evoke whatever the printer/photographer is trying to evoke. I spent countless hours photographing rock art and archeology and was upset with my images because the black and white didn't capture what I was looking for. Then I lith printed one for schlitz and giggles and behold! there it was, what I had in my minds eye. Am I instagraming?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I guess that's fair, but lith is one of those techniques where you can kinda see how the technique becomes an end in itself. It's like IR; there are a lot of IR photos where it seems pretty safe to say that there's nothing interesting about them except the fact that they were shot in IR. There's nothing *wrong* with that necessarily, but it's kind of superficial by itself. I get where Eric is coming from, I think.

-NT
    But an IR lith print must be art, right?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin