Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,881   Online: 1142

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Rant time: Artistic expession vs lith prints

Just a pet peeve of mine and I gotta let it out. I have spent time with Tim Rudman and the lith prints he produces are outstanding. Most if not all of the images he lith's would also make excellent non-lith'd prints. However I see so many images in the APUG gallery that are either generally crappy compositions, pedestrian subject matter, and/or poorly exposed but magically once they have been lith'd somehow they become "art". To me 90% of what I have seen in the galleries that has been lith'd is the analog of an "Instragram" image. Some how the special effect is suppose to transform these images into something outstanding.

Don't get me wrong, I love a well executed lith print. I also understand it may take some time before someone masters this technique. However I feel some are using it as a crutch and deluding themselves that they are creating something wonderful when in fact it's just plain boring. Sorry, like I said it's just a pet peeve. My opinion I am sure will not be popular.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Going to bookmark this one right now...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Agree about the Instagram comment - it's had a way of polluting impressionistic darkroom aesthetics or at least, people are now more aware of the veneer of traditional photography. This is actually a good thing.

Never felt the urge to lith print myself. I might as well put frosted glass in my frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    Just a pet peeve of mine and I gotta let it out. I have spent time with Tim Rudman and the lith prints he produces are outstanding. Most if not all of the images he lith's would also make excellent non-lith'd prints. However I see so many images in the APUG gallery that are either generally crappy compositions, pedestrian subject matter, and/or poorly exposed but magically once they have been lith'd somehow they become "art". To me 90% of what I have seen in the galleries that has been lith'd is the analog of an "Instragram" image. Some how the special effect is suppose to transform these images into something outstanding.
    Don't forget "special effects" are what make most prints "art".

Think about it. Whether analog or digital, if you look only at the subject matter and disregard all the "special" treatments how many are really all that "good".

It's the tarting up that make most "arty" prints arty.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Going to bookmark this one right now...

Ken
    Ken sometimes you are such a exuberant train wreck spectator that one begins to wonder if you are registered under other names on this site.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    In my opinion any process technique that is used should be done to enhance the aesthetics of the image and not for the sake of it. In the gallery you see both, but practice makes perfect.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    In my opinion any process technique that is used should be done to enhance the aesthetics of the image and not for the sake of it. In the gallery you see both, but practice makes perfect.
    I agree. The photography should be about the pictures, and to present them in an effective manner is important. The photography should never be about the printing technique, or some other arbitrary technical aspect of the work. It should be always about the content.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Ken sometimes you are such a exuberant train wreck spectator that one begins to wonder if you are registered under other names on this site.
    Nah. One Ellis Island name is more than enough. And no one can accuse me of hiding behind it by using it. It is what it is. Google it and every single hit you see is a relative of mine...

As always, I do have some strong opinions. But the difference between me and most here is that I admit right up front that I'm not an artist. Nor do I attempt to play one on TV. Nor online. So any opinions on this topic I might voice are doomed to be classified as either ignorant at best, or stupid at worst, by those who are true artists (very few) or fancy themselves as such (too many to count?).

I'm just a lowly software engineer who paused for a moment while debugging a memory leak to read Eric's thread.

Best to just bookmark this one and enjoy the ride...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Image (or content) must come together with technique to produce the photograph (or art or whatever).

Sometimes the content follows the mastering of the technique, sometimes the other way around, sometimes at the same time.

What we see a lot of here is just folks on their way, but thankfully they are willing to show their efforts and not waiting to become masters before sharing their work. We would not be seeing much work at all otherwise.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Image (or content) must come together with technique to produce the photograph (or art or whatever).

Sometimes the content follows the mastering of the technique, sometimes the other way around, sometimes at the same time.

What we see a lot of here is just folks on their way, but thankfully they are willing to show their efforts and not waiting to become masters before sharing their work. We would not be seeing much work at all otherwise.

Vaughn
    I agree with you. To bad these people would not post in the critique gallery so we could offer some advice.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin