Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,279   Online: 819

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I certainly have no 'prudish' problem with nudity. But I do have a major problem with the American need to sensationalize it and call it ipso facto 'art'.

Like the Europeans, I see nudity as 'no big deal'. I do NOT, however, see it as something beautiful in and of itself like a lot of Americans do who want to indulge their obsession with being able to 'express' themselves. Yes, indeed, the Puritan ethic is pervasive here in the USA, even amongst people who think themselves liberated from it!

Nudity should be an afterthought, not a necessity in order to make a point. Like left-handedness, it should be not 'thought' about. The Europeans have that 'over us' for sure with their far more mature outlook on the human condition.

But what I want more than anything else at this point is to question SuzanneR, and force her to reveal to me, "just how did you get that proper accent on the 'a' of Pieta"? - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    But what I want more than anything else at this point is to question SuzanneR, and force her to reveal to me, "just how did you get that proper accent on the 'a' of Pieta"? - David Lyga
    Here ya go...

On my keyboard, (I have a mac) I hit the "otion" button and then the "e" at the same time, the accent aigu appears, then type whatever letter you need under there. Not sure which "option" and letter combo will produce the accent grave, but if you are in need of an umlaut the "option" and the "u" will produce it.

And now back to regularly scheduled programming and the nude in the history of art...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Friday View Post
    Your question reminds me of the first time I visited Florence and saw the David. It was 1980, ... One couple stepped to the side, a few feet away from me. The woman turned to her husband and said, "I think it's beautiful, but why does he have to be nude? Why can't he be covered like a good American statue?"

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at the comment.
    That was my Aunt and Uncle from Boston. Yes, they really felt that way after visiting Italy. I laughed... out loud and in their faces... adn then apologized for being so rude. They also didn't like the un-authentic Italian food either.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    They also didn't like the un-authentic Italian food .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the nude, for most serious artists, is always the elephant in the room. It's about both challenging a tradition and adding to it at the same time. For art's sake, but in the most reputable way.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    They also didn't like the un-authentic Italian food either.
    haha, oh man, stoopeed americaaans... lol

Shooter
    35mm
    it really is stricking to witness how many Italian-Americans (I am half Sardinian) are so (willfully) ignorant of anything authentically Italian. But, maybe with those words I have overstepped my boundary. One is sometimes not supposed to tell the truth if that truth becomes so personally revealing. Yes, indeed, Brian, it truly is appalling.

But, folks, to those possibly offended: Americanism is not a religion. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not willful... it just happens. When one grows up in NYC or Boston one gets a certain impression of "Italian". One of my good friends is a NY It-Am who married a Roman girl (actually from Rome). They don't eat Italian food in their house often because they just don't see eye-to-eye. It just happens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    I certainly have no 'prudish' problem with nudity. But I do have a major problem with the American need to sensationalize it and call it ipso facto 'art'.

Like the Europeans, I see nudity as 'no big deal'. I do NOT, however, see it as something beautiful in and of itself like a lot of Americans do who want to indulge their obsession with being able to 'express' themselves. Yes, indeed, the Puritan ethic is pervasive here in the USA, even amongst people who think themselves liberated from it!

Nudity should be an afterthought, not a necessity in order to make a point. Like left-handedness, it should be not 'thought' about. The Europeans have that 'over us' for sure with their far more mature outlook on the human condition.

Your thinking is seriously akimbo, David.

Join the World Naked Bike Ride where we go nude to make a point of vulnerability as cyclists and liberation from the confines of a vehicle. And yes, it is a way to 'express' ones self. And it's not an afterthought.

á = Alt+ 0225 on Windows keyboards

Shooter
    35mm
    Poisson, it's a NECESSARY way to express oneself because our culture is so uptight about nudity. it's a desperate attempt to fly sh** in the face of the naysayers. Justified but, nevertheless, still immature. Go beyond that mentality. (I hope you don't hate me for saying this!)

The proper accent for Pieta: Thank you for the Bill Gates workaround, around the (former) Steve Jobs workaholic. I EAT apples. - David Lyga

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin