Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,039   Online: 856

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Ethics of "found" images...

As I mentioned in a thread last week I bought an old Argus 75 that had an undeveloped roll of film in it. I developed the film and found 5 decent images which appear to be from a Family trip in mid to late 60's or 70's. The question is this. I'd like to post them (on apug, facebook, etc) to show what I managed to get out of the old film. Since four of the images have people in them is there any potential issues with posting them? (I will make it clear I *didn't* take the images, they were "found" in a camera I purchased.)

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    this gentleman would know...

http://westfordcomp.com/updated/found.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought an old Argus 75 that had an undeveloped roll of film in it
    They are your pictures, you bought them. If you don't like them you may have been ripped off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a means of sourcing the original photographer, not so much intent to identify the people in the photographs, social media can be invaluable. It is neither unethical or legally questionable, but rather a process of using modern technology to help identify people from 40-50 years ago, in the same way that DNA was used to positively identify the bits and pieces of Richard III. I'm sure if His Grace were around today he'd be mightily impressed with the means by which we commoners can undertake detective work that may just lead us to identifying people from half a century ago and, maybe, reunite them with a lost family treasurer. The possibilities are endless. I'd say scan the prints and bang up a Facebook page e.g. LOST & FOUND. See where it goes from there.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if you were going to use the pictures as part of an ad to sell peanut butter you might run into model release issues if the people, or their heirs, recognized them and said "why is uncle filmore on this jar of peanut butter?"

But if you just want to post them on apug, or facebook, or any other social media or photo web site, that comes under journalistic fair use, just like the newspaper: Look at these images I found, fun, huh? you're not using them commercially, you're just showing them to folks. It's your little bit of the First Amendment.

Some artists use images like that for art collages, and they find their source material at yard sales and thrift stores. Same rules apply to you as them --

so go ahead and show. No problem. They're your pictures, you just don't own commercial use of the images of those people.

c trentelman, journalist.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you for all the responses. That sounds like an interesting idea to post them on FB and essentially say "Hey, I found these..if you know who these people are let me know."..and perhaps the teenage/young adult man or the kids (now grown up) will see it

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is illegal in Germany.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AgX, Could you elaborate?
    In what way is it illegal?
    For example, in posting in a non-commercial way, it's really no different than if the OP had made the photos himself from the same vantage point.
    Or is it an issue of permission from the original photographer?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In Germany it is forbidden to publish an image of a person against his will. There are exceptions to this rule, but basically it comes down to this.
    The punishment may be up to one year imprisonment.
    Prosecution will only take place on demand, by the person in question or his dependents in case of his death.

A robot-translation on the german wikipedia article:

http://translate.google.de/translate...m_eigenen_Bild

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    In Germany it is forbidden to publish an image of a person against his will. There are exceptions to this rule, but basically it comes down to this.

I can see where if someone expressed they did NOT want a photo posted that they might have some recourse (in Germany,) but in this case we would not know if it was against their will or not unless we were contacted and told so. I don't see any problem with posting the photos.

Kent in SD

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin