Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,706   Online: 973

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My little one just turned 3 last week. He can tire out groups of people at once, but he is entertaining at times. I, too, get very frustrated at not being able to go out when I want rather than on the schedule of the house. I'm thinking of starting to take him out in the woods with me (and likely no camera at first) this summer. I don't have any answers, but I can sympathize!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's all worth it. My other hobby is amateur radio astronomy and I basically gave it up when my daughter was born.... maybe I'll get back to it when I retire. Meanwhile, priorities! My daughter is 11 now and she's interested enough in photography that she'll go with me or at least put up with me! We spent the whole day today driving over to the central valley to look at some Sandhill Cranes and because there was a tree I wanted to photograph. Yes it's exhausting but enjoy it... the last 10 years sure went by fast!!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    When I was 7 my Dad took me camping for the first time, made me carry my own backpack with sleeping bag and supplies, about half way up I asked if he could carry the pillow I brought as I had been overzealous about what I "needed" so he took that but made me hike with the pack. We made it, it was probably 2 miles up, I've been there since as an adult it took me 1 hour but as a kid it felt like all day. Point is, even young kids can do it they just have to be taught early to carry their own weight then they can come with you so, just 2-3 more years and you're golden

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now is the time to take on the mantle of documentary photographer. Record all of the special moments that will only happen once in a lifetime. I'm glad I did. The albums are full of the memories I can scarcely remember now that they are grown and have families of their own.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    26 years after what - having a kid, or the vascectomy?
    Just judging from my own parents' experience. i.e. I didn't move out until I was twenty six!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Even more important is to take this opportunity to stretch and improve one's photography. Not just document because that is all one has time to do, but to push one's envelope. Everyone take photos of their kids...but what else can one do with the subject matter?

When my three boys had yet learn to crawl and I had them to take care of by myself from get-up to go-to-sleep, I manipulated SX-70 images of the boys in between bottle-feeding 3 infants every couple of hours (not to mention diaper changes!) -- I had no time for darkroom work. Eventually I could use my small camera (Rolleiflex) until I could start using the 8x10.

What do you do when life hands you lemons, and you don't have any sugar? You just pucker up and enjoy it!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    When I was 7 my Dad took me camping for the first time, made me carry my own backpack with sleeping bag and supplies, [snip] even young kids can do it they just have to be taught early to carry their own weight then they can come with you
    I have memories of being dragged across the Derbyshire moors in cold, wet, windy weather getting soaked to the skin.... Now that I'm a little older, it is payback time - Took mother backpacking in to Yosemite and went up Half Dome via Tenaya Lake, Sunrise, Merced & Little Yosemite. Each time I heard the immortal whine of "Are we nearly there yet ?", I would reply with "Once you've been to the top of Half Dome, you can have an icecream.."

Be nice to your children, for they get to choose your retirement home

Oh, and a 70+ granny on top of Half Dome on finding out there is no icecream kiosk there, not fun.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Kids - nobody told me it would be this hard...on me or my photography trips!

Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    I have memories of being dragged across the Derbyshire moors in cold, wet, windy weather getting soaked to the skin.... Now that I'm a little older, it is payback time - Took mother backpacking in to Yosemite and went up Half Dome via Tenaya Lake, Sunrise, Merced & Little Yosemite. Each time I heard the immortal whine of "Are we nearly there yet ?", I would reply with "Once you've been to the top of Half Dome, you can have an icecream.."

Be nice to your children, for they get to choose your retirement home

Oh, and a 70+ granny on top of Half Dome on finding out there is no icecream kiosk there, not fun.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Kids - nobody told me it would be this hard...on me or my photography trips!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Just judging from my own parents' experience. i.e. I didn't move out until I was twenty six!

Steve.
    If the economy is anything like now it might be even older...

Moved out at 23 when I bought a 2 family house as an investment, failed and moved back at 28 and still there at 30...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My kids simply became my main photographic subject! I'm sure you'll find your path as a parent and photographer even if at times it feels that the photography is on the back burner for awhile.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin