Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,867   Online: 877

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kids - nobody told me it would be this hard...on me or my photography trips!

I feel wounded.

I'm blessed to have my two young kids - at one point we thought we wouldn't be able to have any. But my god, they're sapping the life out of me. Pre-kids, I used to go to work all week and then get up early at the weekends with my cameras and try and capture some early morning shots out in the great outdoors. I loved it - the morning air, the peace, the sounds of nature and of course the light. But these days (one 4 year old, one 1.5 yrs old), I'm that exhausted at the end of a day that the prospect of ruining my sleep-in the next day (and by sleep-in, I mean 07:00...no later than that unfortunately, no matter what the day of the week is) to get out and capture some photos just doesn't do it anymore. I can't fatham the strength.

I feel that with the exception of holiday periods, my days of adventure are behind me...at least until they are old enough to come with me and trek 15 miles. So about another 9 years then!

Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to parenthood!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. There are so many great things about kids. The secret is re-establishing the priorities! Welcome to parenthood!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post
    I feel wounded.

I'm blessed to have my two young kids - at one point we thought we wouldn't be able to have any. But my god, they're sapping the life out of me. Pre-kids, I used to go to work all week and then get up early at the weekends with my cameras and try and capture some early morning shots out in the great outdoors. I loved it - the morning air, the peace, the sounds of nature and of course the light. But these days (one 4 year old, one 1.5 yrs old), I'm that exhausted at the end of a day that the prospect of ruining my sleep-in the next day (and by sleep-in, I mean 07:00...no later than that unfortunately, no matter what the day of the week is) to get out and capture some photos just doesn't do it anymore. I can't fatham the strength.

I feel that with the exception of holiday periods, my days of adventure are behind me...at least until they are old enough to come with me and trek 15 miles. So about another 9 years then!

I doesn't get any easier Ted when they get older, and when they become teenagers they'll tell you brought them up all wrong, but you never stop being a parent and worrying about them no matter how old they get, our sons are middle aged and we still worry.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 02-16-2013 at 02:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format

RE: Kids - nobody told me it would be this hard...on me or my photography trips!

Sleep is overrated. There will plenty of time to sleep when you are dead. Until then, it sounds like you have the opportunity to work on your candid shots and decisive moment photography. Take as many as you can, because they are like sunsets. Those fun years will be gone before you know it. Enjoy them.
    Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express
    My flickr stream

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I feel wounded.

I've got a beautiful daughter, born 6 weeks ago. Since then, she's been with me on a couple of short photography outings. Instead of my usual remote country landscape shots we went to places nearer the car. Beaches are good too - I'm planning a small series on a beach in the northwest highlands over the coming year, to be printed platinum if all goes according to plan. Easy walk in, and my wee beauty will be with me...

I've already got her infant carrier rucsac adapted to carry a tripod. From about 6 months time, it'll be longer walks - me, Ishbel, my trusty Mamiya 7. And a ready supply of nappies etc too...!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    ... I used to go to work all week and then get up early at the weekends with my cameras and try and capture some early morning shots out in the great outdoors. I loved it - the morning air, the peace, the sounds of nature and of course the light...
    Get a big dog. Grind your coffee the night before, lay out your pack and clothes. Then go out Saturday at 5:30 AM on tip-toes.

You've easily got till 11 AM before anybody really misses you...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    My youngest is a junior in college. My middle child is married and lives 6 hours away. My oldest lives in New Zealand. If we didn't have skype, my wife and I would only get to see her once every other year. I really miss those days when all three children were underfoot, interrupting my sleep, demanding my time, keeping me from going out to photograph. Oh, well, hopefully it won't be too long until I have grandchildren to spoil. I understand grandchildren make great subjects to photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ha, yep, my portrait shots have increased exponentially since having kids. It's generally easier (and often better!) to photograph their faces than it is a landscape.

I love having them...don't get me wrong. When I posted earlier, I'd had an entire day of constant whines, cries and whinges and I reminiced for a moment of when I shot landscapes often in the peace. But I wouldn't change it for the world.

As for a dog - I used to have three! I took them out with me on my adventures. Unfortunately, they have all since died. The attached was the last to go - my 16 year old cross-lab\setter. Died in the summer :-(

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42040002.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	585.4 KB 
ID:	64266
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    A good quote I heard is that with kids you are always living in the present.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin