Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,604   Online: 664

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    hi stone

you can probably print it optically as a black and white image
    in a single step using ilford direct positive paper.
    i haven't used it yet, a lot of people make in camera prints with ...
    and i am guessing it can be enlarged on.

otherwise you can ask a lab to make a black and white print ( as a negative )
    and you can go to the hobby store and get sun print paper, and a sheet of glass, and some wax
    you heat up the print on the stove, rub wax on it, wipe up the excess
    then put it on the sun paper, and in the sun for a long while ...
    it will be blue, just like the original image ( sun prints are blue )
    if you want to get rid of the blue .. get some super washing soda at the grocery store
    and put some in a pan big enough to fit the negative ...
    then soak the print
    get some fresh water to rinse it ..

its pretty easy, and almost effortless and you don't need a darkroom or fancy chemicals..

have fun !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Has more of a beguiling quality in blue. Pretty lifeless in black and white, to be brutally honest.
    +1

I really do like the blue.
    Last edited by pbromaghin; 02-28-2013 at 03:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Has more of a beguiling quality in blue. Pretty lifeless in black and white, to be brutally honest.
    I'm going to +1 on this, too.

And, yes, converting to B&W using digital means is specifically a no-no in the gallery rule book. I have a few I love, but have just posted elsewhere.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

APUG Ethics of B&W conversion of color image

There's a lot to reply to...

For those that think its easy to find ilfochrome paper and chemistry, tell me where, I've been trying to print a Kodachrome slide I have since last year and have only found one person who has the paper but no chemistry. So I call BS on that.

I also want to reiterate that I still don't know where I can even get an optical print from a lab, I know there are probably a few places in NY but I don't sell a lot of prints and its never mattered to anyone except you guys, and since no one has asked to buy a print from me, I've not looked. There's only one photo lab around here (I actually live in CT) and they don't print optically.

All the stuff you guys suggest costs a lot of money, it's truly a stupid thing to go and make a print and waste more film to make a copy by photographing the print with B&W film (on 35mm when the image is 120 so you're also losing tons of detail) and then process and scan that all just to post it in my gallery, that's really quite a waste if time and money and frankly I can't see why anyone would bother doing that just for an APUG gallery. I'm already scanning it, so I've introduced non-traditional process in the mix, what the hell's the difference after that.

I'm not saying I'm mad about the policies, I got over that a while ago, I'm saying that the suggestions for "traditional work around" a are honestly kind of dumb, and the suggestion that its EASY to traditionally print slides is a joke. If its do easy why don't I send you my slides and you can make lots of prints for me

I like you all, and thanks for the thorough amount of response, but you're all nuts

For those that simply answered my initial question, I thank you. And those that complimented my photo as it stands with no conversion, I thank you, and I agree I like the color, it's just so far from the original tone, that's why I felt B&W might be better.

For those that suggested wild ideas, I just ask you to realize its not not fair to me because I have no access, I guess that's why I get set off buy these suggestions, because I have no one who I can even approach to do this for me and certainly no way to do it myself. Yes I post A LOT because I don't have a single film person in my life, NO ONE shoots film that I know, even the pro's I know don't shoot any film and don't have a clue, and it makes me feel lonely, so I come here to talk about it. I would certainly post less if there were real film interactions in my daily life.

I just woke up mind you so I'm a little grumpy, I haven't had coffee and my car broke last night, have to work on that and I have $60 in my bank account right now... Not in a great mood so sorry if I sound like a jerk, I'm not I swear.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    stone

call blue moon, they can probably make a print for you, and they are an apug sponsor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stone,

I'm not sure what to think anymore about your problems. You joined a group with certain rules that was established long before you joined. Including myself, some of us suggested how you can possibly meet the rule and still post your image. I'm sorry it's costly for you and not convenient for you. What I suggested (light table and take a macro shot) really works, and I know, because I've done it. If that's too much work for just an APUG gallery, then please don't do it. Maybe these limitations are not fair to you and your current situations but this site isn't about you... it's about using analog methods - and what you suggest fall right outside of that.

There are plenty of places that will welcome you and your type of images. Maybe you want to take that route rather than trying to change a long established (and by the site owner) rule.

Have some coffee, maybe?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Stone,

I'm not sure what to think anymore about your problems. You joined a group with certain rules that was established long before you joined. Including myself, some of us suggested how you can possibly meet the rule and still post your image. I'm sorry it's costly for you and not convenient for you. What I suggested (light table and take a macro shot) really works, and I know, because I've done it. If that's too much work for just an APUG gallery, then please don't do it. Maybe these limitations are not fair to you and your current situations but this site isn't about you... it's about using analog methods - and what you suggest fall right outside of that.

There are plenty of places that will welcome you and your type of images. Maybe you want to take that route rather than trying to change a long established (and by the site owner) rule.

Have some coffee, maybe?
    water is boiling now.

I accept the rule, I guess all the other suggestions seemed somehow to irritate me, in particular the idea that ilfochrome paper and chems are easily gotten.

I have a guy in Canada who will print for me if I can find chems, but no luck so far...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

And I do appreciate the suggestions I guess, some were more reasonable than others, I'll just leave it as it is. Blue isn't so bad

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I accept the rule, I guess all the other suggestions seemed somehow to irritate me, in particular the idea that ilfochrome paper and chems are easily gotten.
    You should get a NAACP lawyer and fight "da man" who is opressing you!
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 02-28-2013 at 04:53 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Oops.. I was wearing a suit when first written.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    water is boiling now.

I have a guy in Canada who will print for me if I can find chems, but no luck so far...

~Stone

you've already posted it in this thread do you really need it to be in the gallery too ?
    enjoy your coffee !

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin