Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,099   Online: 1177

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure how well it would work for printing slides, using something like the process I just mentioned, but it would be worth a try. Please, PLEASE, no back printing on such a paper for this reason. Come to think of it, I don't remember if what I have is back printed or not - I have some old prints from color negs and can check.

Panalure got a bad rep because the early versions were rather flat and didn't look that great. The final version was actually quite good, if you didn't mind RC glossy.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Right, and I realised I could just get some Ilford Direct Positive and print. Doh! I've even tried that with decent results. Dumb-A me.

Wasn't around when Panalure was here. Not even a thought, really.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    If it were not for scanners connected to display monitors via the internet sharing pictures would involve mailing work across the world by international post. Some people may remember a time when that was exactly what happened.
    Yes, as recently as a few weeks ago I received a beautiful print from Norway in the APUG Blind Print Exchange. I have also sent a few of my own mounted and matted BPE prints across the world as well.

So much nicer to hold the real deal in your hands. No mental gymnastics required in trying to imagine missing clipped highlight detail. Or staring at shadows that are only as deep as my LCD monitor allows me to see. And the surface texture of a monitor also leaves a lot to be desired.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Right, and I realised I could just get some Ilford Direct Positive and print. Doh! I've even tried that with decent results. Dumb-A me.

Wasn't around when Panalure was here. Not even a thought, really.
    The direct positive is orthochromatic. It isn't sensitive to red. It will probably produce more normal looking results than regular photo paper going through two steps, but will still distort tones. It also is only available in one, rather high, contrast though something like Selecltol Soft and split development might tame that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

APUG Ethics of B&W conversion of color image

What happened to enlarging to b&w sheet film (panchromatic), and/or Interneg if you have color negative material?
    Seems that would still be a better choice since you'll have all tones readily available, rather than ortho material.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There really is nothing wrong with using digital methods to do anything that is proposed. One just needs to exclude the results from APUG galleries.

There are lots of other things that Stone can post in the galleries. And Stone certainly doesn't seem to lack opportunities for participation here , so I'm not too worried.

The APUG galleries are interesting, informative and valuable, but APUG isn't really set up primarily as a gallery resource. Flickr and the like are better for that.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It seems like the blue shift might actually help in printing directly to paper in this case---in general it has the color-response problems mentioned, but I don't think "red areas will print black" is a problem with this particular slide!

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format

APUG Ethics of B&W conversion of color image

Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    It seems like the blue shift might actually help in printing directly to paper in this case---in general it has the color-response problems mentioned, but I don't think "red areas will print black" is a problem with this particular slide!

-NT
    Good point I hadn't thought of!

Nothing wrong with printing to sheet film either, except that exposures will be very short and require handling in darkness. Theoretically so did Panalure but I found my Duka 50 to be safe for it I'd care is exercised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    That's an idea, but it isn't panchromatic. You will have color/tonal distortions and possibly a rather grainy look where the red areas just don't print (I've seen this using conventional black and white paper to print color negs.)

If you can get hold of some Panalure paper (I have some in my freezer, and no it's not for sale) you could probably make a negative image print of it, then contact print that paper negative onto any black and white paper you chose. I may have to try that with some of my slides - the thought hadn't occcurred to me before!

I wish SOMEONE would come out with a good panchromatic black and white paper for printing color negs in black and white again, now that Panalure is gone. Hey, Simon of Ilford, you listening?
    ortho .. pan, i can't tell the difference
    its blue, i am sure it would look fine

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    however I feel it would look much better as a B&W converted image.
    There is no ethical issue if you indicate to the viewer what you are doing. For example "Digitally Altered Scan of Kodachrome 35mm Slide." APUG is not the site for presentation of "Digitally Altered" images.

However, If you want to contact print the slides onto Wet Plate and scan those B&W images to post here, that is great.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin