Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,361   Online: 1191

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

APUG Ethics of B&W conversion of color image

Additional thought, this is an ALL ANALOG right? So all of you using electronic processors like JOBO systems and rotating drums etc, none of those images are allowed here, you can only post hand processed imagery

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The uploaded image should be the best representation of the actual final print and nothing more. We still accept neg scans in the galleries. We accept that some adjustment of contrast, brightness and sharpness may be needed to match the physical print and, for negative scans, to approximate a straight print.

This seems fairly straightforward. I don't see the confusion.

PS, Stone- I like the blue one much better, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is my darkroom water faucet. Do I need to leave APUG?

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 03-02-2013 at 09:47 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Winky added, just to be sure...
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Additional thought, this is an ALL ANALOG right? So all of you using electronic processors like JOBO systems and rotating drums etc, none of those images are allowed here, you can only post hand processed imagery

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stone:

With the greatest respect, this post, if made seriously, would reveal a complete misunderstanding of the situation.

APUG is s strong as it is because it has chosen a narrow focus. It has chosen to exclude discussion of certain recent prevalent tools used by many in the photography world, in order to emphasize, celebrate and promote certain others that have a great history and tremendous qualities.

Nothing in the analogue photographic world discounts advanced technology - the modern films and papers and cameras we enjoy when we use film could only exist and be available to us because of advanced technology.

Older technology is also (more) appreciated here, but it too is often very advanced, and very dependent on electronic and/or mathematical advances.

You have indicated that you involved yourself in the final days of Kodachrome. I don't know whether you were able to glean how much technology was involved in the K14 process, but I can assure you that even when it was first created, it was very advanced.

And modern film emulsions, like Portra for instance, are marvels of technology, involving advanced computer controls of process and manufacture.

If I understand it correctly, much of Photo Engineer's work was involved with computer control of the manufacturing systems involved in making film.

None of the above are in any way inconsistent with APUG's focus. If someone here used a supercomputer to automate a C41 processing line, and posted about it, it would fit exactly within APUG's focus.

The gallery fits slightly awkwardly within APUG's focus, because it necessitates some sort of scanning. It doesn't matter though, because it is relatively unimportant to APUG's existence.

I suggest that you participate in the APUG postcard exchange. It would be best if you found a darkroom course to try for it, but the rules of that exchange do permit you to send cards that have been lab printed, even if there is a scanner somewhere in the workflow (the image must originate on film).

Participating in an exchange will give you a much better feel about what APUG and its rules are all about.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post

Ken

I probably need to leave APUG too because my filter is a DIGITAL filter!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post

Ken
    Yup sorry...

~Stone

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My enlarger timer is a digital one. Though it has dials.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well said, Matt.

Especially the part about participating in an exchange. The Blind Print Exchange is the highlight of my own APUG participation. As anyone who has received something from me can attest, I throw myself into that activity at a level wildly out of proportion to any inherent value in my rather pedestrian photos. But there's no better way, I think, to get a sense of what this community is all about than to send and receive real photographs that you've made yourself, or that have been made for you by someone else.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not going to read the entire thread because i don't have time and you don't read/like the rules. Maybe someone mentioned this or maybe they didn't: slides can be printed optically without internegs or special equipment by using Ilford's direct positive paper. I'm not sure why this is always overlooked.
    And there are plenty of labs which print traditionally, even in nyc.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    My enlarger timer is a digital one. Though it has dials.
    Nope, not ok, in fact if we really want to be picky, JOBO and Paterson hand tanks and plastic spools aren't ok, only metal spools, and you can't use plastic backing paper either... Heck throw out T-grain film, that's not traditional either...

~Stone

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin